HybridZ

Half shafts

alsil

OK, now I am getting a bit frustrated. I put in the half shafts I got from Mike Kelley. Now I have binding on the driver's side, but not the passenger side. Are there 2 different length half shafts, also? I checked both when I installed them, and they compressed and extended the same. I remembered from the R180 shafts that they were the same. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, now I have a clunk in the rear. I have checked the diff and the mounts. I am at a loss. I would like to be able to drive my car comfortably, but all these things are driving me nuts.

AL

Guest dankinzle

If I remember correctly when I did mine, the passenger's side should be shorter than the driver's side by like 3/4" or so. Oh, I have an r200. I also noticed that the driver's side halfshaft had slightly less compressed extra play than the passenger's in regards to installed length.

Al, my R200 diff is not installed yet; I'll take some measurements tonight if you'd like and post them...or you can come over and see for yourself. The drive from Milpitas to Fremont in rush hour is not so fun though...

David

Guys, I know for sure the left (driver side for us with left hand drive cars) is shorter than the right shaft. The overall length is shorter, and the part that inserts into the diff is shorter on the left side as well.

So you can't swap them side for side, without swapping the inner joints around. You could swap the inner joints and use the shorter shaft on the right (passenger) side, but the remaining shaft would be way too long for the left side of the car.

OK, well now I know I got 2 identical shafts. They were exactly the same length. CRAP! Does anyone have a shorter one laying around? I don't have a choice about driving my car right now, My truck's out of commision, so I am taking it easy on the car going over bumps and stuff. Pete, you wouldn't happen to have a pair laying around?

Thanks

AL

Okay wait a sec - we're talking the shafts w/Ujoints or the shafts that go into the diff itself? If the diff I'm cool - I swapped those puppies one at a time! If I screwed THAT up I'm a complete moron! My fingers are crossed icon_rolleyes.gif

According to a book I once had access to for shaft rebuild specs: The 280ZX CV jointed shafts were 14-11/16" long (axle itself, w/o joints) for both sides. The extra length in the passenger side is between the splines and the inner CV joint (about 1/2"). FYI- the '84-'89 300ZX NA axles are 15-3/4" and 15-3/8" long and have the same spline pattern as the 280ZX axles, just a bit longer. Also, the tripod CV joint itself is the same part as the 280ZX (again, only the NA version).

Terry

Terry, that's strange. I got that info on the sticks being shorter from Marty at Raxles.com. At least I thought I did. Oh well, another brain fart.

[Really, sick, I broke 2000 posts!]

[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]