HybridZ

Will it hold up?

FireMedic331

Ok I am in the process of building my first z car. I have a 72 240z that is getting a new LS1 with ls6 cam, and a ls6 intake. I am using a 4l60e tranny with a 3200 stall. I am also going to run a 150 dry shot to help it run a little better:mrgreen:. My question is I want to stay IRS so what will I need to do to my r200 (3:90 LSD)so I can handle the daily driving conditions, and a few passes down the track every now and then? I am sure this is a commen question but I have been lurking in the "Search" area for weeks and still cannot make any sense of what is needed. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Mike

r200's seem to be strong enough, there's more info in the sticky about a pin in there that can loosen itself out. Keep in mind, everything has it's breaking point and you may find it with a pair of slicks drag racing.

The weakest link seems to be the half shafts. A lot of people including myself opted to do a CV upgrade.

Next on the list for weak links seem to be the 240z stub axles. Some opt for 280z axles or better yet Modern Motorsport has some 4340 ones they make up. I think Ross has some even beefier ones to coming out soon.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/default.php

This is a personal perference thing, but I'm not crazy about a 3200 stall for a daily driver and with an LS6 cam you don't necessarily need it.

Well, what LSD center are you running in that differential?

If it is the CLSD you should be fine depending on how many clutches it has in it and what condition the unit is in. The next thing to worry about is probably the U-joint axles followed by the stub axles. That all depends on what condition the parts are in though.

• Administrators

As often as this topic has been covered and literally beat to death here including the posting of this picture, you didn’t find your answer during your “search”?

This is a STOCK Datsun/Nissan R-200 diff with welded spider gears, Blown Nitrous Fed V-8 running 8 seconds @ 150+ MPH!

motivator1789543.jpg