HybridZ

dying alternators

Ive recently upgraded my vg30(e) to a electric cooling fan (s-blade type, flows 1,300cfm and draws 10amps) and shortly thereafter (like 2 weeks) the alternator, which was new (and a new battery too), died! now 4 weeks after it was swapped for ANOTHER new alternator, its doing it again!

why would it keep going throught these alternators?! the fans set to come on at 190' and it doesnt come on enough to really wear it down, and ive seen guys with double fan setups and sound systems in their Z's and theyve not had this problem, am i just cursed to change alternators every 4 weeks forever?

Is everything hooked up properly?

Seriously, there could be a number of issues with the installation or the connections.

1. Intermittant connections, especially to the BATT terminal can really mess up the regulator's simiconductors. Make sure the high-current circuit is in good condition BATT and GROUND.

2. There is also a voltage sense circuit that connects to the main junction near the battery. That can also cause issues with overvoltage conditions. I think that circuit is limited though and unlikely to cause alternator failure or battery overcharging.

3. IGN-ON(CHG) circuit is the field-exiter circuit and is also used to indicate a charge system failure with the idiot light on most cars. This circuit has a ballast resistance that must not be bypassed. A shorted resistor or incorrect wiring can cause alternator failure here as well.

^^^ I think your Z-31 gives this circuit regulated voltage from the ECU. This is probably not the failure point on your car.