HybridZ

r180 and 350v8????????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, mines hanging in at the moment, but I havn't beat on it, I have thrown a few quick shifts, and so far havn't broken it, but I know it has a definate potential for breakage and I've taken it easy (until I get something else lined up icon_smile.gif )

Lone

• 2 weeks later...

take it from me, an r200 can be your best friend, ive blown an r200 with about 325 or so lbs. those r18os?????? but if its running cool, hey. but keeping aside a little r200 with the welded spider gears can be nice too

icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Well, mine is'nt making weird noises, but last time out after a few hard shifts, I did note the smell of gear grease when I got home, it was dripping grease, not alot but it was obvious I got it pretty hot. Soo, have to investigate, maybe just a seal, after all the old L6/automatic didn't even come close to torturing it like the 350 is.

So, I'll be looking for a R200 probably in the interim, but later I may just put in a 9" and not worry about it anymore. (yeah, I know handling, live axle, blah blah blah, we've covered that before I think icon_smile.gif )

Regards,

Lone

Guest dankinzle

I would go r200 if I had the means to so that I wouldn't have to mess with the driveshaft more than once. I've shortened my driveshaft 2 times already and I hate paying for it. That is if the r180 is further forward than the r200. I remember reading this somewhere, but not sure...

Guest Anonymous

Depends on the year. Earlier Z's located the rear end in a different place, putting the R200 in those would require a change in driveshaft if you previously ran the R180 with the V8, I don't believe I'd have to change driveshaft length on the 72. (If I find out I do, then I'll go 9" sooner as I'm not going to modify that many driveshafts, ain't gonna happen.) icon_smile.gif

Lone

Guest Anonymous

If you plan to drag race the car, Ford 9" is the only way to go. Z car suspension is not the best in the world for durability in a constant 2400 RPM launch situation. Les

Guest Anonymous

Hey, I blew out my r180 and let me tell you it WAS dangerous, my wife(at the time) was with me and cried it scared her AND ME so much. I was getting on an on ramp and kicked it and the next thing I knew the rear was grabbing and letting go throwing me all over the place. It could have been a real disaster man I ain't even kidding. Thing is I was able to nurse the car home on it. I parked it and it didn't move until I put in the r200. I'm probably only pushing 300-325hp too. I still got the gears if you really want to see what it looks like, but I tell you that's one ride you don't want to take, CHANGE IT. BTW, I the driveshaft change is cheap I think to end up with what you want,and ain't that what it's about?

Mark

SURVIVOR!!!!

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: WebWalker ]

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Mark, yeah I intend to change it, I'm not driving the car much if at all at the moment due to putting some other items in (A/C and suspension pieces and of course bodywork). Thanks for sharing that though, I can imagine it would do that easily and your right, its a ride I don't want to take.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the info guys,, curious i do have a 4 something i beleive 11 R200 and was wondering how much faster would off the line be. I am comparing 3:54 to 4:11. If both setups had 300 horse and with the 3:54 was running a 0-60 time of say 6sec. what would the 4:11 due. i'm just wondering. approximations/guess are fine.

zach

Guest Anonymous

Alot is going to depending what on transmission and its gearing. It may be somewhat quicker but will peak out faster in each gear because of that, there will be less wheel spin because the revs will come up quicker, torque will eventually drop faster and you'll be looking for the next gear sooner. If you are using a manual with a low first gear, forget about it. Start in second as first will be wound out before you can even think to shift. IMHO, the 3.54 or 3.70 is all the gear you need with a V8 Z unless your running pretty tall tires. Just a opinion...

Regards,

Lone

• 3 weeks later...

Planing on using my r180 for a while and changing to a r200 later. Will this change drivshaft length. If it does change it I will have to go hunt down a 280z now for a good rear end even though money is not growin on trees around here. Not going to cut twice. 1972 240z 350, T350, aluminum intake, block huggers and msa mounts. My guess is that it most likely does change the ds length... not sure. Be nice if it didn't icon_smile.gif

It seems the 3.55 R200's do well getting out of the hole. Without overdrive, however, freeway driving is going to get hot and painful. I ran a 3.55 R200 with a TH-350 for two summers. Yes, I drove it on the freeway, but it would over heat after an hour and oil would be spewing out the valve covers. 70 mph, you will most likely be around 3500 - 3600 rpm. At 60 mph and slower, the TH-350 should be below 3000 rpm and perform nicely.

If you are going with an R200, I would look around for the 3.55 ratio. They came standard in most all 280Z's and some 280Zx's. Also, I don't think you will need to modify the drive shaft if your differential is not in the set forward position. I might be wrong, but I think by '72 Datsun was no longer putting the diff in the forward position. My initial guess is that your drive shaft will be fine with an R200.

However, if I am wrong and you decide to use an R180, look around for an early 240Z R180. Some of them came with 3.36 ratios. These would work slightly better than the 3.55 R200's. With a 3.36 gear, 70 mph should be around 3400 - 3500 rpm. An overdrive transmission should really be in the sights for long term planning here. They totally make the car live-a-ble again.

-Andy

Ok, then 3.36 gear r180 is what I need out of a early z. I have two rear ends, the one that was in it and one I got out of a parts car a while back. How can I tell the difference between a r180 4:11 and a r180 3.36. The two rear ends both came out of 72 z cars but they look a little different. Any ideas. If i can put a 3.36 i think i can live with that for a while.

Guest Anonymous

Turn the hub where the DS connects 360degrees and count the number the axle turns ithis will get you close enough to tell. Les