HybridZ

rocker arm wear

woldson

Spring08071Medium.jpg

The frist two are off a l28et with hydrolic lifters that I recently aquired 190K.

The last one is off my 82 p79 that had a modified cam.

Here is my question what gives with the ware in the center of the rocker arms off that p90a? Also should I use the p79 rockers with the stock cam for that p79 in the p90a when converted to soild lifters?

They are alll like that some worse than others. The cam seems fine but if I need to post that up I will.

Here is the other side. Noter the bigger wipe on the p79 due to the udated lash pads and cam. (from years back)

Spring08072Medium.jpg

I will be turboing in the future, aim is for about 350 rwhp.

• Administrators

The divot in the middle of the rocker is becoming more and more common, especially on high mileage motors.

L-series Rockers are reusable with other cams, so long as they are smooth, i.e. no divots. Finding good reusable rockers is getting harder. Over the past year, maybe one head in 50 that I’ve seen had rockers that I would considerable to be reusable with a different cam or on a different head. I think the lack of Zinc in modern oils is exaggerating this issue, though that is just my theory right now so don’t take that as gospel.

The rockers can be resurfaced and the cost is affordable. If memory serves, I think Jon Mortensen has a reputable shop do his.

By the way, those rockers can be reused on the head they came from with the original cam actuating the same valves, as long as the head hasn’t had the top surfaced and/or a valve job, which would slightly alter the cam wipe pattern, which could rapidly wear the cam lobe in very short order.

Delta Camshaft will resurface your L6 rocker arms for less than $100. I think the last set I did cost $3.95 each. They com back looking like new. I've never tried to reuse a set that had that much of a groove in them.