HybridZ

Wheel bearing removal off stub axle

Owen

Anyone know of a tool, besides those pullers with the three jaws, that I can use to remove the outer bearing off of the stub axle? I saw a tool a long while ago which slides together like a guillotine behind the bearing so the thing can be pulled or whacked off.

Thanks,

Owen

When doing this on a press, a bearing splitter is used. Hard to describe what it looks like, but it has thing halves that are bolted together on either side of the bearing. The thin edges of these halves are placed in the tight region between the inner race of the bearing and the flange on the stub axle. The bottom of the bearing splitter rests on the stationary part of the press, and the moving part of the press pushes down on the stub axle nut end.

Most garages and machine shops that have a press will have a bearing splitter. If money is available, I suggest taking the stub axles to a machine shop to have them pressed off, and have the stubs shot peened and magnafluxed, then have new bearings pressed on. I got that done for $60 labor. Cheap insurance.

Owen,

Yes, HF are cheap tools. Disposable…debatable and for this application who needs a lifetime warranty on a tool that one uses just once or twice. But hey, I was just giving you an example of the tool I thought you needed. No pun intended by using HF as an example. Snap-on Tools has a similar but smaller product that costs $53, I looked it up. Good luck removing the bearings.

Danno74Z