HybridZ

main bearing rod bearings piston ware

woldson

Ok this is the engine from a junkyard that had a 280zxt with 190k on it.

It had a automatic tranny and was a 83.

These pics are to show ware on parts and to get some ideas on how well the engine was taken care of.

The turbo is seized tight.

zcar001Medium.jpg

I pushed the pistons out the top of the engine b/c there was no compression lip to speak of. Out side of yellowish ring markings the cyls look great.

zcar006Medium.jpg

Personally the bearing look "cooked". This is after I had wiped them down.

zcar006Medium.jpg

zcar005Medium.jpg

Photo of piston skirts. (Yes I'am aware of setting these things on concrete I was very careful) BTW Kids started playing with them saying that they were trophies. Watched "Cars" to many times. Told my daughter that they were pistons and she asked if she can still call them trophies and I said sure why not. :) I love kids.

zcar004Medium.jpg

This image was posted before by me but I thought it would be insightfull on this thread as well.

Spring08071Medium.jpg

One last thing. What is this sensor? I would search for it but at the moment I call it thingy. It is not into a oil passage or water jacket.

It is just into the block.

zcar008Medium.jpg

Looking forward to your insight on over all ware and what to look for during restoration of engine based on ware.

Just wanted to let you know that the sensor is called a knock sensor and time for new bearings. I am not terribly educated on the actual machine work or current state of how well or not the block is, so I will let some of the guys here that have been there and done that many of times to comment on the actual status of the block and crank.

Good luck on everything. I'm currently trying to put one back together after getting screwed by a machine shop.

Hey thanks for weighing in:). Funny thing is I did not know that any of zx's came with a knock sensor. I will have to search that. That's kinda what I thought but I swear I never heard of one on this engine.

I got a a VERY good source for machine work, so no worries their.

Part of the reason for this thread is to report back what I find as I do my very slow build in order to give "hindsight" information for YE OLDE SEAECH BUTTON:)!

Thanks again.

The tear down is cheap.

The point of this thread is to show "hindsight" and after pics.

I will start different threads with what I'am doing realative to each project. (failures and success)

The weigh in will hopefully give better search engine results.

Yeah most of my 20+ year wires snapped as well. I will post some pics of my machined, cleaned and new freeze plug, block for my 87mm forged piston. I just spent a few dollars on some brand new rod and main bearings as well as front and rear main seal from black dragon auto. Give me a day to take some day pics.

My block looked pretty similar to the one in the first post to give you guys a general idea.