HybridZ

Any help for a sloppy stock 240Z shifter(4spd)

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

This thing has got to have the sloppiest shifter I have ever seen. Its very vague feeling. When its in gear, it still moves side to side maybe 4 or 5 inches. Does anyone offer a better shifter or a modification I can make to mine? No wonder Mikelly thought his stock T56 shifter was so good, he must be comparing it to one of these. icon_wink.gif

Jamie

Deathstar

Jamie-have you replaced the shifter bushings?

The original design had some cheesy plastic bushings to tighten everything up, and over time they tend to "disappear"--you can still get new ones from the dealer (I think) or possibly MSA--probably not too pricey

Or, if you're feeling energetic, you could probably make your own using some teflon washers and a bronze bushing from Home Depot

it may not seem like much, but that 1/16" of slop at the pivot point is going to be greatly exaggerated at the top of the shifter

Jim

Jamie, the stock 4 speeds are not that vague. Mine is tight and has good feeling. I believe there is an article on zhome.com about making a new bushing out of brass. The Nylon ones do wear out...

I have about 1/2" or less side to side play when in gear.

Guest JAMIE T

Thanks guys, i will pull the boot tomorrow and see what I can come up with. I was hoping to here the good news about repairing the shifter bushings. I am really new to Zcars and everything I have learned to this point has been through HybridZ. I am currently just trying to work bugs out of my '71. It runs great and pulls strong in 1st and 2nd but when I go to shift 3rd, I have to "feel around" for it. Thanks again!!!

Jamie

Deathstar

Guest Anonymous

Hi Jamie:

The bushing replacement is sure the way to go. I did a temporary fix on my 240 with a pair of metal washers. This worked fine, but over time will cause excessive wear on the shifter.

• 9 years later...

I also have a 240 with a sick shifter, Im aware of the bushing deal, have a set of brass one's on the way, but it appears that the majority of my slop is coming from where the shifter attaches to the rod protruding from the trans. Im not sure of the correct name, but the rod is flat on both sides, and there is another sorta forked piece that is probably supposed to fit snugly agains the flat sides, with a pin that holds everything togather. this is where the problem lies, lots of play there, as if the forked portion had been opened up slightly by someone who may have eaten too many wheaties for breakfast, creating lots of unwanted side to side movement. any ideas for a remedy? can I just squeeze the forks a little closer togather?

go to autozone orso buy the bras door hinge repair kits.. install.. and voila

That is probably cheaper that the ones I bought on ebay but...they did work great and the difference was very noticeable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-NISSAN-BRASS-SHIFTER-BUSHINGS-240Z-260Z-280Z-E-/110497449347?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19ba294583

That is probably cheaper that the ones I bought on ebay but...they did work great and the difference was very noticeable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-NISSAN-BRASS-SHIFTER-BUSHINGS-240Z-260Z-280Z-E-/110497449347?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19ba294583

Another easy solution is to go to your local Datsun (Nissan) dealership parts department and buy a couple of the factory replacement bushings - just a couple bucks each. My local dealer had them in stock.

Dennis