HybridZ

Alternator 1 wire swap ? 280z - 280zx

I found out after the battery incident My battery kept draining

and not charging ,After a month I found out the alter. craped out

This sawp has a success rate of 9-10

Alternator swap form 280Z 77" to 82" 280ZX non turbo 1-wire alter:o

280Z alternator is rated at 50A. The ZX alternator is rated at 60A (It is physically bigger) but has the same mounts and pulley (also its one freaking wire)

wich makes this a 100% bolt & wiring is made easy by the DIY guide

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/alternatorswap/index.html

plus eliminate the volt reg to make it more dependable.

The only thing I need to know if I need the alternator with ZX pigtail sockets.

or with out the sockets. I don't think a new Bosch ZX alter will come with the socket?

This guy got a junkyard alter himself but he didn't say anything about the sockets and harness compatible?

• 2 weeks later...

The 280ZX is NOT a one wire alternator! I had a quick read through that link, and I don't know where you got the impression that it is. The field and sense wires (the white T connector) have to be connected for the alternator to operate correctly.

One wire alternators are ok for carburated applications, but I don't know that they're such a good idea on FI engines. You need a good, stable voltage for FI to operate correctly. Besides, I don't see what the big deal is about connecting two extra wires?

Nigel

'73 240ZT

But it does eliminate the volt reg.

An anoying part of the electric wire mess

much like fuse links

My sockets a T shape not a cross shape like the 280Zx

I will have to think about this upgrade and see if my altr.

needs a cheap fix or not.

i'm glad I have a 78 in the sense that I dont' have a voltage regulator. HOWEVER I do think my internal regulator is shot. (voltage tops out the little gauge in the dash, but I haven't checked with my multi meter to see if it's accurate or not.

I don't see the point in doing a one wire setup. but at the same time, I don't mind having a few extra wires to hook up. The simpler the better, and keeping it as the multi-wire is the simplest thing for me. if I ever need a replacement I can just buy a normal style and plug it back in like nothing happened. BUT I do hate those fuseable links. i'm going to replace those with a maxi fuse box.

• 1 year later...

This may actually be better in a thread discussing the omition of the external voltage regulator, but my question actually comes from a link in this thread. So, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm off topic of the original posts.

Has anyone tried the swap from the AtlanticZ write-up? See the "Click Here" link above. As I was reading through it, I noticed that he references ZCarCreations website for their procedure. The only problem I'm having is that they describe two different wiring modifications. I'm not sure if this is a typo - or some other form of mistake - or if there's a difference in the wiring of the canadian 280's, or if one of the descriptions is just wrong.

They both agree that you tie the #1 & #5 wires together. They differ on the color, however. AtZ says #1 is blue. ZCC says that #1 is white/red.

I can look at my wiring to figure that part out. It's after the #1 & #5 coupling that I get confused.

AtZ goes on to say that you then join the #2 (white/red) wire to the #3 wire. ZCC states that you should join the #3 and #6 (white/blue) wires. Again, they almost agree completely. They agree that the #3 wire is yellow, and that it is one of the two wires to connect. Unfortunately, it starts to differ after that. Not only do they contradict each other about which wire to connect to the #3 wire, but they don’t even have the same color identification for the #2 and #6 wires. AtZ says #2 is white/red, as stated earlier. ZCC says it is just white. Then the #6 wire, according to AtZ is blue, whereas ZCC claims that his is white/blue.

Again, the color of the wiring isn’t of as much importance to me as making sure that I’m connecting the appropriate wires to each other. I was merely pointing out the extent of the differences between the two write-ups.

If anyone has any accurate info as to which set of instructions I should follow, or even which circuits I am trying to complete while eliminating the voltage regulator, I would love to hear it. I have the FSM, so I could trace out the wires to incorporate. I should also be able to determine which ones to disregard.

Thanks for everyone’s time and assistance.

Edited by zcarcrazy