HybridZ

No spark - aftermarket ignition - Need Help

Im going to try and make this as least as confusing as i can.

ive got a l28 with electronic pick up.

crane cd ignition box.

crane ps92 coil.

The entire system worked before i started working on the car. its been sitting for a few months and ive only swaped out the alt for delco, intake and exhuast.

now there is no spark.

-the crane book says that when the ignition is on, the status light should be on.when it ran before it always was.

-when your cranking the light should flicker. it does.

-now that im having issues, the light will come on if i turn the ignition on, but if i crank the motor there is no spark and when i stop cranking, the light goes out and wont come back on unless i remove the ground and re attach it.

Make any sense? i know me and everyone ive asked is stumped.

If it's anything like the MSD it's the pick ups are just making and breaking contact. That signal is used to fire the coil. if you were to do it manually (touch and break the Crane pick up wires) does the coil fire or the light flicker. It's possible that maybe some thing is shorting through the distributor?

Edit: I guess I should ask which distibutor type you have? The standard magnetic pick-up or the one with the IC module? If it's the one with the IC module then the above statements will not apply. If you are using the IC dist. I know there are seperate wires to use than the pick-up ones. It's possible that the module whent bad or the crane unit did. Check the distributor like in the manual and if it's fine call Crane.

Definitely need more info on what distributor and how it's connected.

77 l28 distributor, IGN control module. Trigger (white wire) hooked up to c and b is hooked up to the stock wiring.

ignition (red wire) hooked up to switched on power

orange (+) and black (-) hooked to coil accordingly.

blue (cyl select) is grounded.

If im missing anything let me know. THanks for your help

now the stock coil wires were disconnected right other wise everything is right in the wiring. if you left the coil wires connected you could of blown the IC module and would need a new one or new distributor. Did you check the distributor per the FSM? If it still not working did you contact Crane.

ok, i contacted crane. and they gave me a way to test it so you can all remember this one.

by taking the white wire (trigger) and proding it with a test light and putting it to a ground, the coil should fire. if it does not, the box is bad. if it does, the control module is bad.

so i tested and no spark.

i removed the box and tore it down. total meltdown. there were black soot spots everywhere and half the silicon melted. ive got a new box arriving today