HybridZ

pics of my old turbo camaro project *56k beware*

100dollarZ

Thought some of you might be interested.

This is the car I was building before the Z. Bought it when I was 15 for 1800 bucks as a plane jane 350/350 z28 for 1800 bucks and turned it into this monster. Rebuilt the motor, slapped a turbo on it and put a 4 speed behind it. Sold it because I couldnt afford 5-6 MPG. :-(.

It was a baaaaaaaaaddass car though. I miss it so much.

not many people were used to seeing a turbo carbureted SB at my car show...

Specs:

355 8:1 compression

282 degree 114 LSA .480" cam

JET stage 2 custom Qjet

Mallory 685 digital box

Martin Turbo setup 9psi relief valve

Rajay 301E10 turbo

4 speed and a 3.42 peg leg rear end made it a smoke machine :rolleyesg

enjoy : )

camarofrontright.jpg

menengine1.jpg

DSCF1778.jpg

heres some more pictures

Pete- yes its a draw through setup. The Martin kit was very well designed compared to other draw-thoughs of the same vintage (early 80's). it uses a 2 piece intake manifold, the upper section recieves fuel, then goes to the turbo inlet, then is pressurized and then fed to the lower manifold. However, there are flapper valves on the bottom of the upper manifold that are open when there is no boost, so the air/fuel charge can bypass the turbo, making the motor run like a N/A. These valves close when boost is made (pretty much eliminating lag). There is no wastegate, so boost is controlled by a recirculation valve inside the manifold. You can see the flapper valves in this pic:

turbointake.jpg

and some more of the car:

the engine I started with:

Z28350V8engine.jpg

camaroZ28side.jpg

camarodashflash.jpg

mewithmyZ28.jpg

A friend of mine has a Martin turbo set-up, has had it for years now, keeps saying he's going to use it, but hasn't yet.

He said he'll likely install a small block in his malibu for a while (currently a BBC that needs some work), just to use this system.

Looks good.