HybridZ

block decking

hey guys Im building a l28et out of a 81 280zxt, I was wondering if is necessary to shave the least amount possible of the head and block to have a good surface, and if I do this what head gasket should i use???

this is not going to be a monster build 300hp is plenty for what I want, if somebody can help me I wil really appreciate...

If the L28ET you are using has the turbo "dished" pistons then I would consider using a metal 1MM head gasket so as to not lower the compression.

If you are considering running a high amount of boost then you could look into the 2MM gasket to lower the compression a bit but you'll also probably need ARP head studs.

I took everyting apart and measure the head and block, the head is good but the block surface is not that good, so I sent the block for a cleaning and deck 5 thousands of an inch, they said that shoul be enough to get it straight, as of the turbo, I have the stock t3 unit that is in ok shape(no play) but it leaks oil, Is the t4 compressor housing all I need to make it a to make a t3t4??? can any turbo shop do this???

I wouldn't cut it .005" unless it needs it.

On the turbo. yes you can upgrade just the compressor side, making it a T3/4. Upgrading just the compressor side won't get you anymore power at stock or near stock boost levels though. If you crank up the boost and flow more air to get into the better part of the map, the turbine side becomes the restriction. I would upgrade the hotsdie too or go the Holset route.