HybridZ

83zxt r200 or 86zxt r200... which one has a lsd?

z ya

OK guys please help me out here. I found a

83 zxt and a 86zxt at a yard in a nearby

city. What one of these r200's will have

the lsd diff? Should I grab the cv? What

would the gear ratio be in these r200's?

I have a 70 240 that will be running a 400

hp 355 sbc. Any help would be great.

Neither will have an LSD. LSD are found on 86.5-89 Turbo 300ZX. Avoid the pearl whie special edition SSE model. LSD come in 3.7 only unless you're buying an R230 from a later model Z and that swap is still being worked out. icon_sad.gif

I'd grab the CVs if they're in really good shape and for a reasonable cost. I don't know what the ratios would be. The brakes migh tbe worth something too - I'm not sure. icon_confused.gif

I'm 99.9% sure all LSDs had the finned cover.

But some of the finned covered R200's weren't LSDs, I've heard. I think that was on the 240SXs.

If the R200 with finned cover came from the factory on a 300ZX T (87.5-88) then it'd be an LSD. Just look for a "viscous" sticker on it. That one is not easy to get to work in a Z - but James Thagard has done it.

Pete... he's looking for an LSD but yeah th ecutoff might have been 88 I'm not sure. If these are 280s they won't be LSD unless someone monkeyed with them. Grab the CVs even if you've got the 240 stuff as the CV are stronger. I've got U's myself but am working on getting CVs so I'll have a plan if my U's break or should I say when? icon_biggrin.gif

z ya, I'd grab those CV shafts. They are going to be scarce some day not too soon, an nothing else is known to swap in so easily. They are stronger than the U-joint shafts. The next week link in a 240Z is the stub axle. They've been seen to break either at the splined area or at the flange to shaft area.