HybridZ

trans not fitting....

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

another problem with this car, the engine was mounted the scarab method, and to get the stick shift to fit through the middle console thing, the previous owner had to cut about an inch off the forward edge of the stick opening in the console. does this need to be done? or can i get a different shifter with a different angle and replace the center console? or do i have to resort to having the engine mounted the JTR way for this all to work perfectly? thanks.

dan

Guest Anonymous

Maybe a custom shift arm that comes back a couple inches then raises up, probably could do it in like 5/16" or 3/8" billet aluminum and it would work fine. Ever see the shifter in an original Cobra? Its the early mustang/falcon/fairlane unit turned so it points forward, very strange but it worked.

Regards,

Lone

What trans? My T56's little shifter "stub" form th estock shifter poked up through the hole even without the rest of th estick bolted on. That being th ecase I don't see a custom bent handle buying you anything. A T5 would likely be much the same way. To really do it "right" I believe you'll want to do the JTR setback.

oh, cmon, when you shift does your hand hit anything,mine used to hit the blower controls in third so much i started bleeding(oh the pleasure of pain!) if not, i think youre ok. you could get one thats got a slight bend kind of easily, really easily.

Since we're talking shifters... anyone got one of those big Camaro balls for the stick? I've not got a shifter ball and want to try using the B&M shifter as-is before cutting or bending it up. It looks like it just might fly... icon_razz.gif

I use one of those white "ball" shifter handles mounted on a rod that I made out of 3/8" aluminum sheet cut kinda like a dog leg 5" long and about 3/4" wide at the base but narrowing to about 3/8" at the top where I threaded it, and directly bolted onto the stub comming out of the tranny. I never realized how precise the T-5 shift feel could be once all the rubber mounting grommets were not used.

Terry

I have a Mustang-specific Team Voodoo Aluminum polished shift know, no pattern on it. It's 2" diameter solid AL. Very nice feel and it's heavy, to help shifting (synchro pressure) hopefully. Check out Team Voodoo Shift knobs for info. The guy running the company makes them and is very nice. Most of his business is for Miata stuff.

I made my own handle out of 3/8" steel plate and a 12x1.75mm bolt welded together. I need to redo it, but that's how I got the know where I wanted it to be.

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

Umm, I have no "stub". The B&M stick is ALL one piece (grr!). Stainless steel too so I'm unsure how easy to weld it might be. On top of that it's not straight so machining the top down might be hard. I'll try a stock style knob first - the height is actually looking "okay" but hitting reverse past the lock is otugh. On th eplus side B&M makes this thing so it can be slid a noticable amount for and aft on the trans - way cool! I've got it slid all the way back for me... icon_smile.gif Oh and the top of this handle is really BIG aorund which is why I'm hunting a stock style ball as most of the knobs I've got around don't have a prayer of fitting. I wanted something stock looking but... I did replace the boot though - looks decent but I paid too much through MSA for their leather boot - it's a generic replacement boot instead of one made for the Z as their catalog seemed to indicate. icon_mad.gif

I've always wanted to say this...Nice Knobs! icon_biggrin.gif

Okay, I see no prices yet but I think the Pearl knob is pretty nice. Maybe get it engraved with the 6speed pattern and the HybridZ logo? Hrm, do the ZF handles have the same pattern as the T56 in the GM cars? Kripes, half my problem is not knowing what size this monster thread is! 9/16X18?

A HybridZ logo on that puppy could be pretty cool icon_smile.gif

Portas_Knob.jpg