HybridZ

How do you add 2 gauges using only the factor gauge loactions?

Six_Shooter

Like this:

gauges%20installed.JPG

I installed a quad gauge from a Turbo Sunbird GT cluster I've had kicking around, in place of the tach. I was fed up with the factory oil pressure "gauge" reacting so slow, and the temp gauge not working at all, so I went with something that I thought would be more useful, since I'm more worried about what my oil pressure and tempurature is doing that what RPM I'm at. I shift by feel or by the shift light anyway. ;)

Here are a few other pictures:

quad%20ready%20to%20install%20with%20LEDs.JPG

This circuit board was originally mounted to the back of the quad gauges, but would not fit inside the 240 tach housing, so I had to remote mount it.

quad%20gauges%20circuit%20board%20traces.JPG

quad%20gauges%20circuit%20board%20back.JPG

Testing the shift light for brightness on the bench:

shift%20light%20test.JPG

gauges%20mounted%20in%20housings%20trim%20match.JPG

More pictures here: http://domestic.3400z24.com/sixshooter/My%20vehicles/Datsun/Interior/Gauges/

Video (right click, save as): http://domestic.3400z24.com/sixshooter/My%20vehicles/Datsun/Video/240%20new%20gauges%20start.AVI

Hey, now!!!

I am in LOVE with the typeface of the stock gauges. (I know, I know, call me lame for it; 50% of my love for this car is sentimental and little things like that matter. I don't even like sitting down in a 77/78 Z because the typeface is different.. 240/260/early 280 i don't care about the differences inside... but the late 280 just doesn't FEEL right)

BUT, that is an AWESOME way to get major better functionality! I really like the way you kept the install so clean!

I like the type face of the original gauges as well, but I really prefer the later 280Z type face, it's easier for me to read, with the thinner font, it just doesn't have as much character as the earlier gauges.

I may try and play with some new faces for all of the gauges so that they all match, in font, and illumination type, I like the newer gauges with the back lighting as opposed to the side lighting of the original gauges.