HybridZ

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone can help me,

I want to increase my rear track by about an 1" (25mm), how can I do it?

I could probably lengthen the rear transverse links, but without changing anything else that might not be ideal?

Is the a 300zx type option available for this? as in you can slap Z31 hubs onto your zed and get an 18mmx2 increase in front track,

The reason I ask is wheel choice, stock datto offset is 15p, add Z31 hubs and floaters and you get to 41p (or there and there abouts) - wheel choice for 5x114.3, 17x7, 40p wheels is extremely plentiful,

My current wheel offset requires a 17x7, 20p - which dont appear to exist in 5x114.3 pcd,

My current wheel offset requires a 17x7, 20p - which dont appear to exist in 5x114.3 pcd,

Yeh I've seen them around that offset for sale, Skyline wheels. Can't recall which ones in particular but look on SAU for a start, here http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Sale-Private-Car-Parts-f12.html

I'm planning on widening the rear track by up to 50mm per side. Plan A is to lengthen the transverse link with 'a structurally sound' insert and then to rebore the strut insert location in the bearing housing, at an altered degree, sufficient to bring the top of the strut back to the OEM mounting point while maintaining zero camber.

My car's need is largely cosmetic as I'm building a 250 GTO and I want to use relatively narrow 7" rear wheels yet fill out those huge guards.

Edit - There was a Plan before Plan A, it was to relocate the inner transverse link location points further outboard but the fabrication required turned out to be too involved - for me anyway.

Sorry, I have found a few wheels that have about a 20p offset, but I have found millions of wheels that have a 40p offset!!! pretty much every wheel that fits Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Chrysler, Ford (sometimes) offer 5x114.3 in 40p - choices are everywhere!!!

Just seeing if there is a simple, easy way to increase the rear track, like there is with the front,

Fronts seem easy to get around, 15p offset to start with, add 18mm with Z31 hubs and then use Floaters, maybe 8mm - get you to a 40p offset - Then use a 40p wheel, which will give you the original track,

But best case scenario is a 30p wheel on the back of the car - but it would look a touch odd, and still doesnt give you 40p,

Are there longer hubs avialable that can be bolted into the rear strut housings?

Can I add 10-15mm of metal to the outside of the hub? or is that going to stuff balance?

Lengthening rear transverse links propably isnt going to get what I want unless I re-locate the mounting point of the Chapman struts, so that is probably out as an idea???

Oh - I cant use spacers either, this is to get the car over rego and even if engineered are still illegal for me!!!

Sorry, I have found a few wheels that have about a 20p offset, but I have found millions of wheels that have a 40p offset!!! pretty much every wheel that fits Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Chrysler, Ford (sometimes) offer 5x114.3 in 40p - choices are everywhere!!!

Just seeing if there is a simple, easy way to increase the rear track, like there is with the front,

Fronts seem easy to get around, 15p offset to start with, add 18mm with Z31 hubs and then use Floaters, maybe 8mm - get you to a 40p offset - Then use a 40p wheel, which will give you the original track,

But best case scenario is a 30p wheel on the back of the car - but it would look a touch odd, and still doesnt give you 40p,

Are there longer hubs avialable that can be bolted into the rear strut housings?

Can I add 10-15mm of metal to the outside of the hub? or is that going to stuff balance?

Lengthening rear transverse links propably isnt going to get what I want unless I re-locate the mounting point of the Chapman struts, so that is probably out as an idea???

Oh - I cant use spacers either, this is to get the car over rego and even if engineered are still illegal for me!!!

In Aus you are not allowed to use spacers but you are allowed to use bolt on adapters if you get them engineered.

I have Z31 turbo front hubs on mine with adapters on the rear with 18' Ford falcon wheels. It is all engineered and legal.

I am in the ACT and they appear to be the odd man out, spoke to the Engineer and he said not allowed spacers of any kind!!!

Not bolt on style,

I need a 17x7, 5x114.3 with a 20p offset to fit inside my guards and clear my struts - also to keep track within 25mm difference,

I have 17x8's, 16x7's and 15x7's but all have a 6p offset (pre-au), they all clear the strut, but poke out between 10-25mm past the guards, not overly worried about that part, but its the increase in track - there was recent changes to ACT laws, which reduced the track increase allowed from 37mm to 25mm and I think they are tight about it - so even if I try and tell porky pies I think they will really investigate,

A 17x7 with 20p & 5x114.3pcd doesnt appear to exist, closet I can find is 25p, which rubs on the spring perch,

So have the grand old option of not only getting new wheels but running thinner diameter coilovers - not impressed!!!

I am in the ACT and they appear to be the odd man out, spoke to the Engineer and he said not allowed spacers of any kind!!!

Not bolt on style,

Bolt on ones are adaptors not spacers. Its an important distinction because Porsche for one use adaptors to vary track.

I'd ask the engineer again, they are not always right first time.

Oh and by the way, little 7" wide wheels are gay :burnout:

My engineer told me of an argument he has been having with ACT rego where he has expressed that very same view point to no avail,

However, there is light at the end of that tunnel, if they are factory made hub adapters I can use them, all I need to do is give Nissan a call and get them to whip me up some spacers - sure that is possible and at a good price :-),

Would love to just keep my beloved 17x8" wheels and just lip the guards, but I think they are going to check it out and see that I have increased the track by 34mm,

Bolt on ones are adaptors not spacers. Its an important distinction because Porsche for one use adaptors to vary track.

I'd ask the engineer again, they are not always right first time.

Oh and by the way, little 7" wide wheels are gay :burnout:

260DET - I hate to say this but the ACT engineer is correct. It is the opinion of the Australian Motor Vehicle Certification Board that adaptors are spacers and therefore not allowed. Believe it or not this was discussed at the last Board meeting and was agreed to.

Porsche have them as standard but that in no way legitimises them for any other application.

I wish it was otherwise; would have saved me a lot of time, effort and money.

Well after exhaustive searching I found some off the shelf wheels!!!

My Zed's clearance is going to be a little different from others because I am running floating rotors on the front, this gives an extra 8mm x 2 of track and I have 5-stud,

http://www.bsawheels.com.au/users/ProductDetail.aspx?id=401

http://www.bsawheels.com.au/users/Product.aspx?lb=2&key=bsa-316

However, stock wheel offset is 15p, these are a 20p wheel, so with the 8mm floaters I have increased the track by 3mm x 2 - but they clear the strut, and sit nicely inside the guards,

There are some other of the shelf options depending on what you have done to other components,

If you dont run floaters, and have stock offset, Performance Wheels make a few 16x7" wheels in 11p and 12p offsets, if you do run floaters and have a 4 stud pattern they make a 17x7 Lotus wheels in a 20p offset,

If you run floaters and use smaller OD coilovers, you can run a 17x7 with a 25p, a Speedy Sorocho 2 will fit then,

Other than that, if you dont run floaters and use 5-stud pattern (5x114.3) there are quite alot of 16x7, 17x8 wheels with a 6p offset that will fit, pre-au Falcon stuff, and by fit, I mean keep the track within 25mm :),

16x7" with 6p offset should clear your struts, but might clip the lip of your guards at the front, should be able to get away with no mods and an overall increase in track of 18mm,

17x8" with smaller OD coilovers will clear on the inside, but will certainly poke out past your guards - overall increase in track of 18mm, just have to lip your guards - also, when I run 17x8's with a 6p offset, at full lock my wheels hit the chassis rail,

Both above options should foul on the rocker panels (think thats what it is called - bit of car below your front bumper bar) when you turn the wheels, I am running a big front air dam, which gives clearance,

Just an observation. Once you start seriously modding its going to be contra to some damm thing, thats the situation in AU with the fun police we have here.

What I will say is don't get 'your' engineer involved in every little thing that you are doing, look at the big picture and aim to basically comply with what is obvious. Get the message?

With the S130 I checked out the basics then went ahead with the mods then got an engineer in at the end, no problems. Presentation and attention to detail helps give the right impression, too many 'modders' do rough work that attracts attention for all the wrong reasons.

Nah, get what you mean, honestly I wouldnt have even bothered about it and just lipped the guards and kept my 17x8" - but there has been a recent change to local laws and track increases have been decreased from 37mm to 25mm and the advice I got was that they really crack down on it - guess you can always lay your hands on a 2nd set of wheels for such occasions, but because of my brakes you can just bolt of a set of steel rims from an R31 Skline :-),

But........................still sorta interested in my original question :-), how do we increase the rear track, besides bolting in the rear subframe from a 240sx!!!

I think it would be a really worthwhile conversion to think about, the fronts seems like a reasonably straight forward proposal by simly using a floating rotor and the Z31 hubs, get to a 41p offset, be very cool if such a simple conversion existed for the rears!!!

The amount of 35-45p wheels that are available is huge in comparision to the lower Zed suitable offsets!!!