HybridZ

SBC phase II advice

Yeah here in NASCAR country it seems like ever grocery getter has a Nextel Cup motor in it.For that matter there was a guy recently on craigslist selling a set of SB2.2 heads for $400. He had another set of heads that would be a direct bolt on, I can't remember what they were though. I'll see if I can find him.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rat Fink: AFR Aluminum heads CANNOT be beat. I am building a 383 stroker Gen 1 with solid roller cam shaft and lifters and will get very positive valve lift numbers. Coated the pistons, heads, main and rod bearings. Went with steel shaft mounted rockers and will go with .095 wall 5/16ths pushrods. Went with AFR-195 heads. Look at the AFR web site and Dyno sheets. My combination cam and heads should yield 500+ torque and horsepower normally aspirated. Fully forged rotating assembly. 10.0 static compression ratio with coated pistons and not worried about detonation or having to use expensive fuel. Ready for nitrous shot anytime.

Hey thanks for the input rsicard!

Update: I decided to listen to Grumpy and Cozy and NOT put a blower on the 9.6:1 motor.

To get blown I really need to follow the rules, so I decided to listen to Grumpy again, not compromise on a halfway solution, and wait until I could put the hardware in that I really wanted.

Since the existing motor would be just fine except for the heads, the crank the rods, the pistons...basically I could only keep the dang block...I decided to get the motor I really want all built up then do a swap, selling off the old complete engine.

It's down to two contenders: SBC 427 NA, or SBC 383 +144

(yes a low compression 383)

I have both picked out, I'll give details when I decide.

I can't build that much horsepower reliably, my wrenching skills are just not up to the task, but I can do a swap.

The deciding factor will be what the cops tell me when I ask about the hood scoop height; blower is preferred but I'd hate to get a fix-it ticket that I couldn't fix. It's a daily driver. Through Irvine CA. Past Anaheim cop shop.

Hey Cozy, regarding the 144: I'll have the engine with ignition built for it, use a Tremec TKO, probably the weak link will be the R200 LSD or half shafts, but I'm willing to let those go for now. What do you think about cooling? I have an Astrovan radiator now, I'll need electric fans for clearance reasons. Yeah bad dog frame rails, good idea.

Hey does anyone know how long they kick you off classifieds for screwing up? I tried to list my existing engine and tranny (want a Tremec TKO) but broke some rules, now I can't post.

Also, what's a fair price for my setup?

(ZZ4 350 SBC fastburn heads, Holley 750, Borg Warner T-5 World Class)

<$2k? I don't really do much used stuff.

Thanks!

Thanks Bo, I guess I better start posting.

(Blah blah blah blah Ginger blah blah)

Your wifes looking dapper today.

yeah Grumpy I know you vote for NA.

I'm talking to Ohio Crank about the 427, when it gets closer I'll run details past you. I can't really trust myself with a shortblock, this much HP is unforgiving and my time and wrench skills are limited.

OK, so the CHP seems to think I'm mostly OK.

The visibility rule is highly subjective, with no hard limits.

The pic I posted earlier is the actual blower motor I'm buying, got a good deal i think. sorta streetable?

Grumpy, what do you think?

scat race 4340 rotating assembly

race ready pro-1 chevy sb aluminum head

215cc intakes straight plugs, 72cc chambers, 7/16 rocker studs

harland sharp rller rockers

chevy sb 1.60 7/16

swedged end -2 pushrods

chevy sb 5/16

billet true roller timing set

8620 billet roller lifter cam

rpm 2200-6000 lift .525/.525 advertised duration 287/287

sfi approved harmonic damper

race chevy sb 6.61

8.5mm wires

pro-billet msd dist

demon eliminator 750 with race needle package

weiand 144

chromoly dual valve springs

arp bolts

high flow electric water pump

what do you think of this thing? Dyno 580HP claimed

what cam are you thinking of using?

whats the static compression ratio?

what rear gear ratio?

what transmission?(the t5 listed earlier)??

your list includes a 144 supercharger, but blower cams generally have more exhaust duration than intake duration and have a 112-114 LSA?

Edited by grumpyvette

Thanks Grump, I forwarded the questions, I'll get back to you.

Meanwhile, what do you think of this 427, but as a longblock with AFR heads?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/434-CHEVY-SBC-COMPLETE-TURNKEY-ENGINE-STROKER-400-427_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad491bd2cQQitemZ390113377580QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2451wt_867

I know you vote for NA, and I still may too. I can handle a longblock swap myself. No hoodwork needed for now. I also put this to Ohio Crank to quote.

Thanks!

Rat Fink: Just went the the (big) SEMA show in Las Vegas. All the goodies are there. Went and looked at Air Flow Research AFR-195 COMPETION heads and they appear to be better than RHS 200 aluminum heads. As far as the ebay 427 it would be beneficial to have SRP Professional Pistons (have LSx style late design metric piston rings) and they are LIGHTER. Scat Crank and Rods are VERY good, AFR-195 COMPETITION heads, pete jackson quiet cam gear drive, ARP Main Studs, Head Studs, Pushrods should be at least 0.080 wall or thicker, 4340 Scat I rods beams are LIGHTER than H beam, coat piston crowns, skirts, rod, mains bearings, camshaft, cylinder head combustion chamber, valves, intake and exhaust ports. This should yield a very healthy engine.

OK so I started thinking seriously about handling the excess height, by cowl induction, by hood scoop, by carb scoop, and ended up with my favorite options modeled out of cardboard covered in aluminum foil.

Everyone agrees that 'Im needlessly messing up the best part of the Z: the lines.

Big vote for NA. If I changed the lines with a 280Zone style hood, OK, it's an improvement, but that won't even handle the existing V8, let alone a blower.

By the way, the favorite of mine was making a hood scoop out of a hilborn carb scoop.

Picture a smooth hilborn carb scoop sticking out of he hood. Its 5+" tall though, arguably blocks visibility, and is an external piece that isn't legal by virture of being able to come off and cause an accident.

Cut the scoop horizontally to remove a few center inches and TIG back together to make it just 2" tall. Remove flare on front edge.

TIG a base structure onto it to affix it to the hood from the underside, making it impossible to fly off. Now it's a a hood scoop instead of a carb scoop.

Cut the hilborn carb mount out to allow an 8" air filter to enter.

Fab or find an 8" air cleaner with necessary drop base to affix to the carb.

Go matte and clearcoat on the hilborn finish.

Maybe cut the hilborn front end like a V to match the existing V on the stock hood.

Sounded cool, looked not too bad, but not as nice as stock I guess.

Also looked at all the "normal" hood scoops at Summit.

Then again, if I really want, I could do this for the NA.

Ohio Crank doesn't appear too interested in quoting the longblock, so M and R it is.

More on the M and R engine:

112 lobe, 236 intake, 242 exhaust

lift 520 intake 540 exhaust

Yeah I'll sub the AFR eliminators for $400, it's $700 for the AFR competition, probably not needed for this though.

They use an 830 carb for their turnkey. They said I could probably use my 750 if I had it worked by a carb shop. Sounds questionable. Comments on that?

Hey Grumpmaster Vee I got answer on the blower engine, but it doesn't matter anyway. The guy is running 7 lbs boost on top of 9.7:1. Yeah we've had this conversation before. Doesn't matter because my endless indecisive waffling has come to an end, I'm definitely buying an M and R 427 longblock, details above. I'd still like your opinion on it though, there is room to change components for a week or so.

I'm upgrading to AFR heads.

If I just want a 100 shot on top, should I go forged aluminum pistons; you mention that in another thread. Any other N2O considerations?

Should I upgrade to a little M?

The builder says it's all good, agrees with the AFR sub.

Thanks, Rat

More on the M and R engine:

112 lobe, 236 intake, 242 exhaust

lift 520 intake 540 exhaust

Yeah I'll sub the AFR eliminators for $400, it's $700 for the AFR competition, probably not needed for this though.

They use an 830 carb for their turnkey. They said I could probably use my 750 if I had it worked by a carb shop. Sounds questionable. Comments on that?

I have a C&S Aerosol Billet Blow Through 850, ready to run for $1400.

Thanks Doc, but I settled on getting the engine set up with carb.

It's from Ohio Crank, (no tax, they finally quoted today)

Motown Street block (vs Dart SHP what do you think?)

AFR heads

Holley 850

427 4.125 x 4.000 gives a little rebuild room vs 434 (what do you think?)

10.1:1

560/580 110 sep

SRP2618 pistons

hydraulic rollers

should dyno mid 500's HP, high 500's TQ

Should put deposit down today, working out the details,

(with my wife, that is.... and her rolling pin)

:twak:

Rat Fink: Best to keep the stock hood and fit the carb and it manifold underneath as a matter of keeping drag to a minimum. Use 3" hose from the front core support to the carb for high velocity air intake. Spectre make parts to do just that. Carb hat, inline filter and scoop in front of the core support. This is the approach that I am going to use. Additionally, I am going to cover up a good portion of the grille and put an air dam also for aero purposes and down force.