HybridZ

Older GM 5 speed?

Trevor

I was reading something about V-6 engines the other day and it said that '79-'81 Firebirds sometimes came with the 3.8L BOP V6 and a 5-speed. Does the B-W T-5 go back to '79 or was there a GM 5 speed tranny (Muncie/Saginaw/truck?)around then?

Just curious. There were a lot of 2nd generation F-bodys in the wrecking yard last time I went.

I know that the T5 showed up in the '83 Camaro and was cable actuated. The T4 was in the '82 camaro. As far as the other cars, the T5 was around but I don't know if it was in them. I have heard that the 95 and newer 3.8 cars have world class T5's that use the Ford case and just have a special bellhousing for the 3.8s BOP pattern.

Guest Anonymous

Sorry if I can't remember the number, but its a T-?? they used them in the skyhawks, Monza's and Sunbird or whatever it was. They were behind the 3.8 engines of that time, probably 76 or 77? Wasn't a T5 though, I want to say like T50. It is one of the trannies they sometimes put behind a Rover V8 in the british sports cars swaps.

Regards,

Lone

I have one of those - out of a V8 Sunbird. I think it might be called a T-50. Weird shift pattern - 1st is down to the left, 2nd up in the middle, so on. If anybody wants it, let me know $100+shipping. I even have a 10.5" clutch disc (and 2500lb PP) for it.

Those dogleg shift patterns are cool! Lamborghini uses that pattern in all their cars, pretty good theory behind it too. Its that in road racing you execute the 2-3 and 3-2 shifts much more than the 1-2,2-1 so why not make them right above and below each other to speed up the shifts?

That said, I think it would hurt you in drag racing.

Guest Anonymous

The pattern didn't bother me in driving one to much, it was ok, but its not a real super strong tranny, moderate torque, maybe a tad less than a regular (not WC) T5... It would actually work ok probably in Lower HP V6's, turbo'ed though would probably break it in a hurry with all that torque. I don't recall it having a super deep over drive either.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Frank280z

Pete, Just wondering if that was a 10 spline? If it will handle 400 #s and the dimensions are close to a m21. I may take it off your hands. If Les doesn't want it.Thanks.

Frank

Guest Anonymous

I think Pete is right, originally it was used behind the 3.8 V6 N/A and I think that smaller engine Chevy produced the 262 (76 monza?). Probably nowhere near that torque capacity or they'd have kept it around for the bigger V8's.

Regards,

Lone

• 1 year later...