HybridZ

r200 Q's.....

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Well, it's a good idea to replace them both. The front mount is the one that always fails first. Replace it and use a plastic coated steel cable like JTR suggests, or fab a fron brace like what is shown on Scottie-GNZ's website. You can buy bushings and such from Motorsport Auto or Victoria British. Get polyurethane if you can, because it will last longer and hold up for your kind of driving.

Davy

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

hehehehe, i said "moustache", anyway, is there a way i can do this myself, or do i have to take it into a shop? if i can replace the bushings myself, and tie on this cable, where do i find out how to do it? thanks.

dan

'77 P.O.S. 280Z(350 baby!)

You can do this yourself if you have access to either a propane or acetelyne torch, jack and stands. Jack the car up and support the frame. Remove the mustache bar and burn the old bushings out. Wire brush all remaining rubber out while it's out. Let it cool. Wipe it out, add some lube and put the new bushings in and then hammer in the sleeve. Replace in car. As far as the front mount, buy the JTR book for description and photo. After replacing the stock mount with a new OEM mount, they just wrap a plastic covered steel cable (about 1/4" diameter)around the diff and diff crossmember 5 or 6 times and then clamp it with 2 or 3 wire rope clamps.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Mike C ]

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

i love hearing about things that are WELL in my price range. i'm gonna go pick up the stands and torch later on tonight.

oh yeah, can i use the same torch for welding, or is that something a lot more powerful? and can i find the bushings locally or do i have to order them? and what if the front mount thing isn't broken? how can i tell? thanks.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: BadKarmaCreepin ]

Can't really weld with it, sorry. You will find it useful though. Heating up bolts then letting them cool is a really good method for loosening rusty ones. Just be wary of what's behind the metal you're heating, don't set your carpet on fire or anything like that.

Guest Anonymous

Benzomatic has a torch for like 50.00 that is oxygen/propane (or mapp? can't remember) that will weld (gets up to 5000 deg), but its tanks are real small and you wouldn't get much time out of them. And unless you know how to gas weld real well, you'd burn through the throwaway expensive tanks learning on it. As Pete said, just get a regular propane torch and melt the stuff out, it'll work fine.

Regards,

Lone

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

i have this nasty thumping sound coming from the rear of the car when i hammer the pedal. i think it's the bushings between the r200 and the moustache bar, they aren't there! does anyone have a spare set laying around or know where i can pick up a set? thanks.

dan

in another thread, some said it might be the front mount. uhhh, that's still around the same area right? and if that needs to be replaced, do i still have to replace the bushings also?

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: BadKarmaCreepin ]