HybridZ

Headers difference depending on application.

rich280zxt

Alright so I've searched the forum and found the same response of "well, depends what application you're running." The headers that came with the motor I bought were cut 4 inches before the tip, So I'd have to get the end welded back on, and then the rest of the exhaust run. Headers that came with the motor are 6-1. I found a good deal on a different set of headers but they're 6-2-1. I have a built 3.0 stroker motor, with a pretty decent cam in it, no exactly sure on the specs, but I'll be running triple webers- most likely 45 or 44 mikuni/ weber/ delhortos soon if I can get my hands on a set. So the question is, Keep the 6-1 headers or get the 6-2-1. What're hp rating differences. I'd like to install cut outs, So I can run it wide open at the track but be somewhat quiet on the street. Guessing 2.5" exhaust will be sufficient, or should I bump it to 3"? Not real sure on what muffler I'll be using either but most likely won't be a ricer pipe. Unless I go with the HKS 4.5" tip. Opinions appreciated.

But can anyone tell me the real difference in horsepower? What would I be better off using?

from what i've learned, using the 6-1 headers is really more for track use. since ur going to be in higher rpms most of the time, thats the header to use because it makes more hp at higher rpms. i'm going to be doing some autocrossing, nothing big, and will prob go with either a 3-2-1 or the 6-2-1. but, no, i dont know the hp specs either :ugg:

http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/datsunspirit/imgs/7/6/76318d04.jpg

ths is just like the header I have, should be good for any size z motor. mine came on my fairlady. i've thought of getting it jet hot coated one day, who knows. very thick 5/8 flange and thick tubes.

ooooh, very pretty. Doesn't look like its anything close to equal length tubes, and to say it should be good for any size Z motor is an indication you really don't understand headers. Nice feature to have the tubes all stick straight out from the head, but makes the intake routing rather difficult. Or are those pipes bent down immediately at the flange? Ouch.

There are no hp specs for headers, and if there were they'd all be lying. Headers have to be one of the most BS laden aftermarket performance parts there are. For a stroker motor with a medium cam the Nismo Comp 1-5/8 headers is probably the best choice IMHO. A Stahl, at twice the price, could draw out a few more ponies. Rebello's headers used to just be a stepped copy of the Nismo Comp headers, and in our dyno tests actually made less hp. Stahl and the Comp headers are probably the only real header people with any significant development on the Nissan L series motors. Everything else is just an aftermarket "built to a price and fitment" header.

Stahl and the Comp headers are probably the only real header people with any significant development on the Nissan L series motors.

I might print this out, frame it and hang it on my wall.

Thanks.

guess i put my foot in my mouth...i meant the size of the pipes should be big enough for any size z motor, maybe too big for some, could still be wrong but they are 42.5mm in diameter, the MSA 6-2 header i have is 39mm in diameter. i don't know what the flow rate increase in that is through the pipe for 3.5mm (little over an 1/8")...but the pipes do tilt downward at a slight angle, and would need a very quick 10-15 minutes of cleanup with a dremel to correct because it is a tiny lip that could be blended to the exact angle of the pipe. i think my favorite part is the thick flange and if nothing else would make for a great start on a custom turbo header. as far as intake routing, this header came off of a car with triple dcoe webers and i had the webers and header off in a half hour and thats taking time for a cold beer. they didn't interfere with that setup, can't make a comment or make speculation on FI manifolds but manifolds with webbing would, as always, be more difficult to work with. Datsun Spirit calls it Takoashi, or "Octopus Foot". His hand built header is much nicer though and is on his orange car.

Here's a photo of my very rare Janspeed SS header and slip-on collector from England. It is of exceptional quality and provides that wonderful "european" tone. It's bolted to my 2.4 but will find a new home on the 2.8 SC'd diesel block/diesel crank/P90 head L6 I'm building. Janspeed has long been known to build high quality high performance exhaust components. Note that every bolt is accessible without contortion or bent wrenches! Here's the link to the pic.

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=18972

Here's a photo of my very rare Janspeed SS header and slip-on collector from England. It is of exceptional quality and provides that wonderful "european" tone. It's bolted to my 2.4 but will find a new home on the 2.8 SC'd diesel block/diesel crank/P90 head L6 I'm building. Janspeed has long been known to build high quality high performance exhaust components. Note that every bolt is accessible without contortion or bent wrenches! Here's the link to the pic.

Well aren't you special?

Wow, that's scary close to the custom "Tri-Y' header we came up with for our ITS L24 race engine, 'cept our pipe lengths were a little more equal so it wasn't as simple as that layout. Sucked below 4500 rpm, but nothing else could touch it above that. Wouldn't run it on the street but it was the cat's meow for racing.

This header performs very well for me at all rpm's. At idle, I get that lumpy exhaust tone from my mild 2.4 (Crane 272 cam) but as soon as the skinny pedal goes down the tone shifts to the sweet euro sound (hard to actually describe). I don't often see anything a 4500-5000 except when I see a chance on the highway to run open. Seems I'm a natural target for attracting cops. Every time I start to get stupid there they are...damn it.

• 2 months later...
Seems I'm a natural target for attracting cops. Every time I start to get stupid there they are...damn it.

I have the same damn problem.

However, three times in the past 2 months (only one month of driving time in the Z) I have been given a "signal" that they saw what was going on, and wasn't pulled over.

First time: Opening it up one early evening, passing a truck with a boat on a trailer shortly after leaving a freeway onramp. Made it to about 80, looked to my right and there he was, alongside.

He flashed me with the searchlight, then raced ahead and snagged someone else.

Second time: Coming up hot on a left turn at a light that I knew was soon to change. Made the turn just as the yellow was ending. Too close to call whether I made it entirely through before red, but the chirping tires and screaming exhaust note made it clear that I was not just putting through.

Exiting the driveway just past the light was a traffic officer. He pulled up next to me, looked over, and wagged his finger at me, then kept on moving.

Third time: Last week, I ended up behind a prius going 10 under on a 40 mph road that split to the right and had a yield sign at the next junction, which went into a 35 zone.

Yield doesn't mean stop, damn it! So, of course, I stomp it, and swing around him as the merge is completed with a one fingered salute.

15 mph over the limit, I look back, and who's coming up behind me, but another traffic officer. He pulls alongside and shakes his head, then drives off again.

Somehow they're there when I get moving quick, but I have yet to be pulled over in the Z, except for one who decided to give me a hard time about the bumper I had off for welding up and painting.

I don't plan on a run of fortune like this running forever, but until then, I'll keep knocking on the wood-replica steering wheel sitting in the old parts storage area.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...