HybridZ

Would REALLY appreciate your help/input

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just bought myself a '74 260Z with a Chevy small block conversion and a TH350 tranny. Now being a road racer, I intend to swap out the TH350 for a manual, but my budget only extends to a 5 speed. Now the question is exactly what tranny should I use? Should I use the Borg Warner T-5 World Sport? Or Should I use the equivalent Tremec tranny? Also, should it be out of a Camaro or a Mustang? What spline input/output is required? Is there anything else I need to know regarding fitment and installation? Again, any input would be very much appreciated. Thank you

New or used? If you are going to buy new I would get the Tremec. If you want used, get a World Class T5 and rebuild it with the countershaft stabililzer from www.gearzone.net. Just don't rev it up and dump the clutch or speed shift it and it should hold up pretty well. Either way, go with the chevrolet trans as the adapters are extremely expensive to run the Ford. Buy the JTR manual for making a crossmember and making the hydraulic clutch work.

Guest Anonymous

I was thinking of buying used... what years did they use WC T-5s in Camaros? And is there any particular casting number(s) I should be looking for? Finally how do I tell the difference between a WC and a non WC T-5? Thanks again

If interested in how I installed a Tremec 5spd (TR-3550), check out my page at:

http://members.home.net/pparaska/mychoicetranny.htm ,

http://members.home.net/pparaska/TremecInfo.htm

and

http://members.home.net/pparaska/drivelinemods.htm

Note, the parts, bought new to install this cost about $2000. I'd go with a used F-body T-56 and the needed parts for it instead. The T-56 was a rare piece in the yards when I made my tranny choice.

I'm with Pete, a used T56 over a Tremec as th eprices are probably close. Shop hard for th eT56 and you may find it cheap - record I've seen is $800 I think. Tremec is notchy IMO, do you want that ona road course? T5 is pretty smooth and will last if you don't beat it and run synthetic fluids - budget for breakage though...

Oh, and the T56 migh trequire a Centerforce flywheel depending on th emotor you've got. 2 Piece rear seal = $250 flywheel icon_eek.gif so budget that if you ponder the T56!

P.S. Another data point - seems my T56 is a bit hosed. This was NOT a local yard and it was bought months ago so I'm pretty well shafted here. I can probably get it fixed locally though. Consider this when purchasing a used transmission.

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

There's another option on the T-56. Get the aftermarket replacement on that comes with an adapter to put it behind a Camaro T-5 bellhousing. Ain't cheap though ($2295!). They can also drill this adapter for you to put the trans on a straight-up bellhousing ($40).

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/BorgWarner/bwt56.html

This uses the standard input shaft (26 spline) so I'd think a standard 1 or 2 piece flywheel/PP/clutch disc would work with it.

Pricey, but at least it's new and an easier swap.

Guest Fast Frog

Omar:

A WC T-5 Camaro tranny uses a Timkin main bearing. "Timkin" is stamped on the outside of the main bearing housing. The standard T-5 uses a Torrington bearing and that should be stamped on the outside of the bearing housing.

Guest Thurem

quote:

Should I use the Borg Warner T-5 World Sport? Or Should I use the equivalent Tremec tranny? Also, should it be out of a

Camaro or a Mustang? What spline input/output is required?

Either way, go with the chevrolet trans as the adapters are extremely expensive to run the Ford.

I'm in the process of converting a Ford T5 to Chevy use. I Got a new chevy T5 case from Gearzone.net for only 45$, also got the 5th gear stabilizer. Will need to run a Mustang clutchplate in a chevy pressureplate. And will need to get input shaft shortened some.

The reasoning for using the ford trans is that it was an upgraded superheavyduty version from ford motorsports.

The input shaft on a chevy V8 application has 26 splines, and you can identify a T5, from the tagnumber, at Gearzone.net to make sure you get a WC V8 transmission.

Thure

Guest Anonymous

Doesn't seem that bad Thurem... But how difficult is it to get the input shaft shortened? Is there anything else I need to know about creating a Frankenstein Chevy/Ford tranny? icon_razz.gif