HybridZ

Six SpeedQuestions

383 240z

Help while unloading a truckload of cores for the tranny shop were I work I found a 1998 Corvette six speed it is missing the bellhousing and tail housing. I tore it down and found a worn 2nd gear holding dog. replaced it and bought it from the shop for $200 Hey if the dont know what it is worth I'm not telling!! We buy cores for a set price no matter what the unit is. well now what else do I need????

Guest JAMIE T

Correct me if I am wrong(I sometimes am). A '98 Corvette is a C5, and C5 corvettes transmissions are located in front of the Differential. I think its tail shaft is the Differential, and it would not have a bellhousing since its so far from the engine. If it is a Vette part then it will only work with the Vette diff, It is vary valuable in the KitCar world, they use the trans and diff for mid engine cars.

Jamie

Deathstar

Ah, okay - I'm learning a bit more about T56 since it seems I might be shopping for another... T56 from 94-97 is what we want unless you're doing an LS1. Th eLS1 T56 cannot be used with an older SBC or LT1. The 93's are less desirable due to their 100ftlbs lower torque rating and .6 6th gear instead of .5 Note that the 93 replacement T56 is "only" $1800 rather than $2K+. Ouchie! icon_eek.gif

P.S. Just got a quote on a 97 trans with only 27K miles on it. $1200 w/core, $1500 without. OOUUCHH! Don't yet know what a new one would cost but if it could be gotten for $2K I'd seriously consider the new one. I'm not doing anything with that though until the case of my existing one is cracked open and inspected. (shiver)

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

The ZF 6 speed was used in corvettes from 89-96. They are as strong as any other 6 speed except maybe the Richmond. They are extremely noisy and use what is called a "dual-mass flywheel" to help eliminate rattling of the gears. Parts are STUPID expensive. They use a unique bellhousing and clutch with the special flywheel. They run about $3000 in a boneyard. I think you did well on your purchase, but your best bet is to try and sell it to someone with a 'vette who broke their ZF and use the profits towards a T56 or Tremec 5 speed (my choice, anything that makes more than 400 lb/ft doesn't need 6 gears. The 3.2 first gear and a .76 5th are ideal with a 3.54 final drive and a performance cam grind, i.e. more than 210 deg @ .050 valve lift)

The unit was tagged as a 1998 corvette So is it still a ZedF or can I get a regular V-8 bell for it and sell it to another Hot Rodder in my area I'm running a TH-700R4 in my Zed. I just thought this might be a good unit to pick up for resale but I will need to place a positive ID on this thing before I try to sell it. Can anybody help me??

You could also take it to a tranny shop and have them tell you what you need, or even a good GM dealer. I don't think you are buried in the tranny--it's at the very least worth what you have in it and probably much more. Don't sweat it.

Davy