HybridZ

Head gasket sealer

CamH

So I'm pretty sure I blew my head gasket. Losing coolant, and there is oil leaking down the side of the block from between the head and block. Anyways, I am pulling this motor to replace with a freshly rebuilt L28 in less than three weeks when it gets out of the machine shop, and I don't want to mess with the L24 at all really!

My question is this: Does anyone have experience with using a sealer, like this: http://www.barsproducts.com/1100.htm Seems like garbage, but if it will hold me together for a few weeks then that's all it really needs to do. Does anyone have any advice about using this sealer or one that is similar?

Yeah, I remember reading that post. He gunked up his pick up and ruined his engine. I don't really mind if the engine leaks oil or anything, it's not a problem to add more. I'm just trying to ensure that the engine makes it a few more weeks so I don't have to trailer the car home to Oregon (I'm stationed in California) to put the new engine in.

I used bars leak on a cracked N47 L28 some years ago coming back from Colorado to California. It didn`t stop the leak but it slowed it down and corro check airless paint sprayer corrosion inhibitior was added to the water I was using as coolant. The car made it to California and a N42 head was put on that bottom end and was used for several years in a friends 240.

Swapping a head gasket is an afternoon affair as long as you have all the right tools and don't drop the timing chain (I've got it down to about 2 hrs now). I personally would want to know if and why the HG blew in the first place before trying to drive it around too much more.

Swapping a head gasket is an afternoon affair as long as you have all the right tools and don't drop the timing chain (I've got it down to about 2 hrs now). I personally would want to know if and why the HG blew in the first place before trying to drive it around too much more.

Well this is an engine I swapped in after it had sat around in a guys back yard for a year, weather and all; ports totally exposed. I don't want to waste time swapping the head gasket out as I am putting in a new engine soon and I don't feel like wasting most of a day doing it (working about 80 hours a week right now). I'm pretty sure I was going lean and I wasn't being very nice to the engine at all. I have since richened my mixture up slightly and taken the timing back a little to prevent further damage.

• 1 month later...