HybridZ

Almost finished

260Z is almost finished.

Problems Heating issue; I bought the car from a neighbor that moved on to work on his Cobra Kit. There were two small electric fans installed .I bought an aluminum radiator 1 1/2 thick and fabricated a new cowl and added a 16" 3000 cfm fan. It runs hot at freeway speeds but will cool off when I slow down to city speeds, I installed a manual switch and a 160 deg thermostat. I added an aluminum shield from the spoiler to the crossmember and am planing to box the top and sides to force more air through the radiator. I have a 8x12 trans cooler in front of the ac condenser. maybe that is bad.The car has ac but that is out of the question at this point. I bought a mechanical fan and clutch but the cowl fabrication was more that I think I can handle. I read the posts on heating issues but have not found a solution for this Texas heat.

Is a mechanical fan a likely solution or do I need to add more radiator?

I owned a stock 72 and it would get hot if I tried to keep it above 115 mph. I have some other issues but will save them for another post.tn?sid=1093163347&mid=ADBAk0UAAPmgSDuIRAqpNi774ek&partid=2.7&f=833&fid=Sent

260Z is almost finished.

Problems Heating issue; I bought the car from a neighbor that moved on to work on his Cobra Kit. There were two small electric fans installed .I bought an aluminum radiator 1 1/2 thick and fabricated a new cowl and added a 16" 3000 cfm fan. It runs hot at freeway speeds but will cool off when I slow down to city speeds, I installed a manual switch and a 160 deg thermostat. I added an aluminum shield from the spoiler to the crossmember and am planing to box the top and sides to force more air through the radiator. I have a 8x12 trans cooler in front of the ac condenser. maybe that is bad.The car has ac but that is out of the question at this point. I bought a mechanical fan and clutch but the cowl fabrication was more that I think I can handle. I read the posts on heating issues but have not found a solution for this Texas heat.

Is a mechanical fan a likely solution or do I need to add more radiator?

I owned a stock 72 and it would get hot if I tried to keep it above 115 mph. I have some other issues but will save them for another post.tn?sid=1093163347&mid=ADBAk0UAAPmgSDuIRAqpNi774ek&partid=2.7&f=833&fid=Sent

I found a Thread that seams to indicate that closing in the area around the frontal area to force more air through the radiator seems to be the logical next step.

If you don't have a fan shroud then there is a significant part of your problem. I'm running a stock 280Z radiator recored to 4 rows from 3. I have AC and it worked fine for years in the DFW area. Even with only one of the two fans running it didn't overheat on 100°F days with the AC running flat out in stop & go driving. It ran even cooler if I could get up above 35 MPH.

How thick your radiator is doesn't mean a lot. How many rows, the fin density, and the tube diameter is what matters. How did you determine which radiator to buy?

Closing in the gap is not necessary if you have the right radiator and fan combination. It is a band aid.

I had no idea that there were that many Hybrid Z's in this area. I would really like to see your cars and compare notes. I'll send each of you a PM.

I fabricated an aluminum cowl 2" thick sealed to the radiator. I just finished building an air box to channel more air to the radiator. I don't have a front bumper I wonder if that has a negative effect on the aerodynamics.

I had no idea that there were that many Hybrid Z's in this area. I would really like to see your cars and compare notes. I'll send each of you a PM.

I fabricated an aluminum cowl 2" thick sealed to the radiator. I just finished building an air box to channel more air to the radiator. I don't have a front bumper I wonder if that has a negative effect on the aerodynamics.

I very seldom run my front bumper. Can't see that causing a problem.

Jeff