HybridZ

Clutch compatability for VG30ET (URGENT!)

Careless

I haven't installed the f-1 clutch yet. I received it with the purchase of the SS. So I cant really recommend it or say I hate it. I do however prefer a full face clutch design as they are much easier to modulate.

I can recommend the DXD or south bend clutches however. I have driven quite a few vg30 cars with them installed and they are very nice. They are easy to modulate and have a light pedal feel that is very close to stock.

For the rb25 I am running a full faced nismo unsprung clutch and nismo pressure plate.

I installed an F1 6puck Clutch on a turbo civic about 6 months ago and the kid driving the car really likes it.

Grabs really quick and no complaints of slip or anything to date and he really beats on the car.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I just ordered a F1 Spec Stage 2 Carbon Kevlar full faced disc and pressure plate kit, and a fidanza flywheel.

Total was near 430 shipped. I'd say that's pretty darn good, and I hope it holds up. I'm not a great driver because I only drove my car for 10 days before it decided to fail on me, but I hope to improve with these "harder to drive" modifications that will make easier cars...well... easier :-D

I'll snap some pics when I get the parts ! :wink:

will do.

it was dissappointing for me to find out some of the work that went on with my car, but after this clutch repair it should be pretty good for daily driving for a long time. I'm going to add the stainless clutch and brake lines, short shifter, change valve cover gaskets and seal my exhaust leak at the crossover pipe.

it's already got some grippy wheels and has had most major work done.

After that is a rear brake pad/disc upgrade or repair, and then an LSD, probably an OBX since I won't be racing the thing but I'd like to see how it feels. Unless I somehow find a CLSD.

I've not done a burnout in this car yet, so once the clutch does grab effortlessly after break in, I'll make sure to giv'r :D

I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress Careless.

Did you end up ordering the clutch/flywheel from Gripforce?

I've heard folks recommend balancing them as a pair. Was that a consideration?

yep, I spoke to Yobel @ Gripforce. We were discussing the Exedy Stage 1 vs the F1 Stage 2.

The Exedy is a full faced organic disc, and does not grab as well as the F1's carbon-kevlar disc.

I'm really not concerned about the grabbing on the discs though, I'm concerned about the wear. I do have a 250mm clutch disc here that I could possibly use, but I'd have to check if it fits the f1 pressure plate properly and completely.

As for the balancing, i was told over the phone that it doesn't have to be, but if I wanted to, It wouldn't hurt. So I think I'm going to do it at a local machine shop just a bike ride from my house.

The flywheel is the exact same as posted by Racinjitter. It should be here on thursday of next week, I hope. I'll take my land-lords digital cam and take some pics.

^^ Yup yup! The disc is a clutchnet disc. Have I told you about the interchanges for a new lsd? I have been finding compatible used clsd's for our cars from 350-500... I found new ones from 550 and up depending on brand.

for a sprung hub, clutchnet has some pretty strong discs. The rivets are quite thick and the plate steel holding them in isn't a flimsy clamp, it's more of a 4 piece housing.

:D can't wait to see what the carbon kevlar disc is like.

and can you please tell me what the interchanges are :D

I may have enough money at the end of the week to grab a CLSD too and put that into the car. Really all I need right now to get this car the way i want to.

I sure can, and you dont even have to say pretty please. LOL! For all 87-89 12mm ring gear r200's you can slap in a 240sx CLSD that was designed for the OE open diff. So that means that the nismo units for them will work, the tomei tech-trax, kaaz, etc etc etc will work with no issues. I recently found BNIB nismo units for 580 shipped. The same company sells the tomei unit for 7xx shipped.

Oh and you can use the greddy 240sx finned cover if you modify your diff mount.

Love your cartoon.... If you know what I am talking about?

cartoon?! lol what?

thanks for the info on the diffs.

it doesn't say if it's a CLSD though, on the nismo page. But Tomei's products are top notch. If I were to go with something it would be the TechTraxx for sheezy. :-D