HybridZ

Clutch compatability for VG30ET (URGENT!)

Careless

hey everyone.

im taking my transmission off in about an hour (starting to, anyway). I have to know what kind of clutches fit on the VG30ET. I have an 87 turbo, so it has the larger FS5R30A. I was told/read that I can use any clutch kit from an SR20, or KA, or any other FS5W17C transmission as long as I use the flywheel and pressure plate from the same kit. Would I have to move or modify the starter mounting or get a different starter? Ive been told by someone I don't trust very much that it's just the disc surface that's difference and the pressure plate housing....

Racinjitter was over one day and mentioned it too but I cant remeber what his words were, so Allz i got is this person I'm not too fond of as a backup source of info (cause I would trust Racinjitter if I remembered what he said!)

I am looking at this deal here for an SR20 clutch disk with flywheel clutch pack:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/EXEDY-CLUTCH-KIT-15-LB-RACING-FLYWHEEL-SILVIA-SR20DET_W0QQitemZ150259335441QQihZ005QQcategoryZ33730QQcmdZViewItem

I'm wondering if it's possible to use. It's not quite the 30lbs of the stocker, or the 11 lbs of the lightweight versions of the 300zx flywheel, like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/F1-STAGE-2-CLUTCH-FLYWHEEL-90-96-300ZX-TWIN-TURBO_W0QQitemZ150260972409QQihZ005QQcategoryZ33730QQcmdZViewItem

or should i go with an exedy/daikin

http://cgi.ebay.ca/EXEDY-CLUTCH-PROLITE-RACING-FLYWHEEL-90-96-300ZX-TURBO_W0QQitemZ160252637995QQihZ006QQcategoryZ33730QQcmdZViewItem

I Know the last two are for VG30DETT's but I cant find a clutch/flywheel combo for the 250mm packs, so I'll settle for a 240/241mm unit if they will work. Right now the SR20 one looks good cause it's a tad cheaper, and won't be super flimsy depending on the flywheel construction cause of the added 4 pounds of steel.

I need to purchase this by end of day today or tomorrow morning, so any help is appreciated. I've already called some people but I'll be in the garage...

FANKS GUYS! :mrgreen:

I think the SR20 flywheel will have the wrong number of bolts to hold it to the crank, I think the VG30ET has a 6 bolt crank and the SR20 & VG30DETT will be 8 bolt. Might pay to double check though.

im tryin to find a flywheel and clutch combo, because clutches from local distributors are 375 bucks and I can get a flywheel and clutch combo for 500 bucks.

I think I'm going to go with exedy but I'm waiting for someone to answer my question about applicable sizes. I cant find a combo for a 87 - 89 turbo... They're the unlisted bastard child because they have a larger transmission, so the pressure plates are different.

I wouldn't mind like a spec stage 1 or 2, but they are too expensive.

Just to let you know, you can get a good clutch right from Nissan.

The 350Z clutch is 250mm and has a ton of clamp force. They are rated at 850kg of clamp force. Then you can just use the OEM 250mm disk with a Fidanza flywheel. What is the hangup on a kit?

kits are cheaper and I wouldn't have to pay double shipping and double customs.

Most retailers here sell the flywheel and clutch kit for 300+ a piece.

If I can buy the Flywheel and Clutch kit combo + 45 shipping and probably 45 customs. I shave 200 bucks off the final price.

Careless,

Let us know what you decide on.

I'm in Toronto too and will be replacing my clutch soon.

I'm leaning toward a 240mm assembly with the fidanza flywheel.

getting all these parts will cost too much for shipping and whatnot.

Since I might get the 240mm, i could let you know how it will go because your engine uses the 240mm from the get-go, it's a pre-87 model.

Thanks Careless.

NP!!!

Have you checked the links I posted? You can probably get a good Exedy unit from them with or without flywheel (wouldn't put money on the F1 Spec though, 2 people I know had excessive disc wear and one of the same ones had a spring hub rivet failure.... which I think is the issue with my clutch right now)

Also, Just as a note of how long this takes on this car, I've managed to jack up the car half-way to where I will when I have to pull the trans completely. I've removed everything but the transmission, and by myself it's taken roughly 4 hours or so. That includes cutting welds that someone put on the heat-shield that blocks access to the Driveshaft.

Also, I've been told that using a long extension bar to remove the upper transmission bolts if you have really high jacks is the best way.

I shopped around and found a 12, 15, 24, and 32 inch extension SET (4) at princess auto labelled at 24.99. At the register it was 12.88 for all 4 of them. Beats the 15 a piece for the single 12's that I was going to buy at Canadian Tire.! :wink:

Now I can gun the bolts off, and slide that sucker off.

I'll post my findings when I'm done. I'm not even sure what the problem is yet. :icon51:

Ok, Sorry I took so long... Chaos is back in full effect in my family again.

Anyhow, Here is the part number of the fidanza flywheel that I have for the SS. Findanza part number 143301.

The clutches are interchangeable between the rb25(push) sr20det, ka24de, vg30et(87-89) not sure about the 84-86, vg30e, 350z, N/A Z32... I am sure there is more like the pathfinder vg30e.

The flywheels, I cant remember the interchanges right now. But I will eventually.

Pic wh0reing

DSC00180.jpg

DSC00179.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

DSC00177.jpg