HybridZ

transmission

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've read how its not uncommon for some of you guys bust your transmissions durring higher performance applications. Would it be worth it to shell out the bucks for the T56 to begin with? I mean if thats the case then i really have no problem waiting and saving the bucks for it when the time comes especialy since im really early in on the project.

RadTad,

My plan is to make over 600HP on the flywheel, and I was also looking at the T56, but I felt that an auto box would feed the power much smoother than a manual (unless I slip the clutch a bit). I decided to get a built 700R4 (4L60), which can handle up to 600 HP no problem. Also, it is much less than even a used T56 at $1400.00. That's complete with my choice of stall converter (I will get a 2400rpm stall), and there's no need to have a bellhousing protection blanket to stop pieces of blown up clutch from finding it's place in my legs. icon_eek.gif

If you want to look at the site that I found the autobox, here it is....If any of you guys have any info on this company, let me know, 'cause it's a hell of a long way to have to ship the unit back if there's any problems. They seem reputable, but who knows for sure? icon_confused.gif

Transmission Center web site

Tim

What type of tranny's are you referring to? My 240Z w/350 just ate my 700r4 last night. Bummer too, youd think a vette tranny with a new b/m converter would hold up but evidently not. If it is not salvagable then I will definetly go back to super t/10 or 350 tranny. To much has been said about 700r4's being weak, T5's etc.. Maybe t56?

Funny thing, old school muncies,borge warners etc.. you can throw just about anything at them. T56 seems the way to go. Especially if you want high speed cruising.

Good Luck.. Mike icon_biggrin.gif

Umm, Tim? Why do you think you won't need a trans blanket with that transmission? Automatic transmissions grenade just like stick shift ones do. Flexplates can fly though the car as can bits of torque converter. They have SFI bells for powerglides - the rest usually have to wear diapers icon_biggrin.gif

Pete,

That tranny is definitely NICE, but very heavy and expensive, because the stand alone wiring harness that you have to run with it has to be custom programmed to the specs of the vehicle and the wiring and computer alone is over $1500.00 from Jet performance products icon_eek.gif

Hey 383 240Z,

I noticed that you commented on their prices, but the 700R4 high performance unit is very reasonable, considering what they promise it can do...Does the company stand behind their product? and do they deliver what they promise? Do you have any experience or have you heard anything about them?

Hey Mike,

Was your tranny new or from a bone yard? Maybe it was abused before you got it!! These trannys are used by many hot rod folks with good results?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim, Picked it up from a member. Dont think it was abused anymore than the usual. I will see next week if its salvagable. It was a vette tranny 89 model I think? I am wondering about the torque converter, swapped it out just recently. Its a b/m holeshot 2600 brand new.

Mike

Mike,

Did you have a nice big cooler connected to that tranny? With that stall on the converter, it would have generated a whole lot of heat....if you didn't have a decent size external trans cooler, the heat could have killed the unit icon_sad.gif

Remember, trans fluid has to do a lot of things, including cool the tranny. When the fluid gets too hot, it begins to 'foam', which makes the oil pressure in the trans drop, which makes the clutches slip, which produces more heat.....setting up a positive feedback loop.

(if I'm telling you something that you already know...sorry) icon_redface.gif

Tim

Tim, Yes I had a 10x10 b/m transcooler mounted in front of the radiator. No fan hooked up to it. Next time I will have a fan and guage, fan being thermostatically controlled. icon_sad.gif

Mike

Today I spoke to a guy from BowtieOverdrives here in California. His prices are significantly better than The Transmission Center in LA, and they specialize in conversions. The guy I spoke to was obviously very knowledgable about non-standard setups and will even supply an empty 'dummy' casing for setup purposes($3). They only deal with 200 4R and 700R4 trannys. I will be visiting their shop next week for a tour which he offered me. I hung up the phone feeling very satisfied icon_biggrin.gif with their service and expertise, which seems rare for an industry which has a reputation which rivals the 'used car' game. If anyone wants any details of my visit, let me know and I will enter a post, otherwise I won't bother taking up space here. Here are a couple of links to their products and services:

BowtieOverdrive

special TV cable setup

Tim

ps....I got the JTR manual recently and I highly recommend to anyone....I was planning to fabricate all my own brackets etc(I've done several conversions in the past including the L28 in a Series 2A LandRover), but the system they use and the tips they provide will save so much F'ing around, it's not even funny icon_eek.gif

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: Tim240Z ]

Guest Tht1KSguy

i'm going with the 200R4 (since i have one in the garage) although u can pick them up for supercheap at the yards since they're not as desireable as the 700R4's and can easily be built to handle 500lbs of torque.. (right Scottie?) check out any GN prowling the streets.. lighter than a 700, full throttle upshifts to 4th gear, and a GN converter is a 2000rpm stall unit from the factory... only thing is you'll probably have to do some work to the tranny crossmember to get it to bolt up although the trans is the same length as a TH350

Ryan

Yeah, the mounting point is the same as the TH400, about 6inches icon_confused.gif back from the TH350. I swapped my 350 out for the 200 R4 in my truck and it works well. There is a simple wiring solution to lockup the converter in OD, so don't waste your money on the little wiring module which is available from TCI or B&M. I bought one (about $60) before I found out about the trick and subsequently returned it.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I have looked into the 2004R a little but I am weary to use it over the 700R4. They are close to the same cost to beef up but I am not sure that the weight adn size is enough different to validate the descision.

Any thoughts?

All the tranny guys I've spoken to say that the 2004R will likely never be as strong as the 700. The way I think of it is that it is like comparing the TH350 to the TH400. I also have a 2004R laying in my garage, but I am not going to be 'penny wise and pound foolish' by installing it. The last thing I want to do is have to always worry about my tranny every time I lay into the 'loud peddal' icon_biggrin.gif

Tim