HybridZ

T-56 Third Gear Blues

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My T-56 wants to jump out of third if I don't slam it home, which is O.K. if I'm in a hurry, but it's a pain in the butt if I'm just cruising. Does anybody have any ideas?

Guest Anonymous
icon_sad.gif I kinda suspected that it would be syncro's. Now the question is where do I get a shop manual? Where do I get parts? Or does anyone know anyone who works on T-56's in or around Atlanta, Ga?

bbbowtie, I just had my T56 repaired here in Atlanta. The only place that works on these is Southern Gear Co. in Smyrna, 770-435-1461. It's not cheap! Labour is $250 no matter what, then parts. Parts are expensive for a T56. My 5th and 6th fork was broken, and the rail assembly was bent, $800!! They also relaced the bearings and seals. icon_wink.gif

Guest Anonymous

Good Grief! $250.00 and $800.00 for parts and I'll bet that's you handing him the trans. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to live with it for a while. Thanks guys. icon_eek.gif

Am getting quotes form a shop now on cracking mine open and on a refurb trans. I'll post them here ASAP. They've already told me that the place they normally goto doesn't carry them (shiver). We'll see - another friend is hunting hem down too. If I could get out of this for $800 I'd be pretty pleased actually.

Hrm, did th e$800 include R&R'ing the tranny? I'm almost to the point where I odn't want to do that myself but I guess if I pull the trans first THEN the bellhousing it might not be too bad icon_sad.gif

[uPDATE]: SQUEEEL! Can you say $2495 +$500 core from the transmission shop for a reman?! Kripes, I don't think NEW ones cost that much if you shop around. Will be getting a quote to crack it open in the morning and see what it will cost to estimate the repair. Whoof, I certainly won't be getting a reman trans from them unless it's a last resort. I'd buy the 27K one I found for $1500 first. Ouch!

LOL, they called again! Tearing it down is $150. IF I buy a new tras I'll have his one repaired anyway (most likely) so $150 to find out what's wrong isn't too bad. Looks like I'll be working on it tonight and tomorrow night to take in early next week. Fun fun! icon_rolleyes.gif

[ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest Anonymous

$2495.00 way too high for a reman. A new one is $2295.00 from that Chevy dealer, Sallee (address in an earlier posting) The price of going fast and sensible gas milage is getting ridiculous.

Actually Sallee charges $2995 - my friend with his connections can get me one new for about $2800. http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevyTransmissions/gmt56.html

Plan is this: Pull trans, have my friend check it out (free). If it's going to need more work than I'm willing to invest or he can do it'll be closed up and sold as-is. At that point I'd buy the $600 trans I know about (hopefully for less) and have the reverse gear checked out. That trans was a dealer pull under warranty so it shouldn't be too bad. Money from the sale of the first trans would offset the second one somewhat.

I've pulled th eexhaust already (pics to follow I swear). Driveshaft bolts in back have been pulled. Trans drained - it looked like silver Tester's paint. Sort of silver mixed with clearred(ish). NO chunks, nothing stuck to the drain plug. Trans had about 10miles on it tops. I'll be VERY interested to see what it looks like inside!

Pulling this beast, on my back in the garage by myself, is going to be a bear. I'm gone this weekend so tomorrow I'll be humpin' and will try to have it to my friend's shop by Monday or Tuesday - I just don't think I can move quicker than that (sigh). My chances of driving it again next weekend grow ever dimmer icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh cute! So, if I swapped to the CHEAPER T5 flywheel etc. I could use the straight up T56. Hrm, the shifter seems to sit fine now, how would it be using that box? I think the flywheel swap would hose the deal since 've got so much invested in this SFI flywheel but others considering the T56 who might be horrified by the prices out there could find this attractive. Note the ratios - different than all of the previous T56. No torque rating given either that I see. I'll peruse the Tremec WEB site next when I get a chance...

I think I'll be ordering that manual BTW icon_smile.gif

P.S. Looks like it uses a mechanical speedo but might also be able to take the electronic one. The shifter position is moved and th ebellhousing is a different depth. It may use a cable clutch, I'm not sure but I thought their T5s sed a hydraulic one. Tremec doesn't list a trans with those ratios which is weird but I'd say the torque rating is lower than the 94+ T56s but possibly not as low as the 93s. It's hard to tell - it's got a weird mix of ratios!

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest Anonymous

I stand corrected on the pricing I guess I must have the aftermarket one, mine was about $2200.00 delivered and did not have a bell housing.

Originally posted by BLKMGK:

Hrm, did th e$800 include R&R'ing the tranny? I'm almost to the point where I odn't want to do that myself but I guess if I pull the trans first THEN the bellhousing it might not be too bad icon_sad.gif

No I had to pull the trany myself, but it was easy, here's an old post:

posted July 21, 2001 01:17 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's an update: I just pulled the tranny out and it wasn't as hard as I thought! It took me a little more than an hour, and I was taking my time. For those of you with T56s and you have tranny problems it's not that tuff to take out. I removed the drive shaft, and tranny cross member, then with the jack under the rear of the tranny, slowly let the tranny come down, while checking the fire wall to make sure the distributor did not hit. When I angled the engine/tranny enough I braces the engine and took out the bolts after the bellhousing (left that on). I pried it apart and disconnected the slave cylinder and backed off the clutch arm from the bearing. Then sloly brought it to the ground with my jack. It was realy easy! . On Monday I'll bring it to a friend of mine that owns a tranny shop, and see what he says.

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Mike kZ ]

Ah, okay thanks on that removal procedure. It'll take me more than an hour I'm sure but I'll get it out. One of these days I'll but a tranny jack but I'd like to think this isn't going to be a regular thing (ahem).

Check out this page from D&D -> http://www.ddperformance.com/driveline.htm

Something smells here. How is it that Ford converted T56 cost LESS than GM T56?! They don't appear to sell any GM tranny's either - argh! I may shoot them a note or call them up. For $2K I'd consider a new one. For $3K GM can bite me icon_biggrin.gif

Okay, THAT sucked! icon_rolleyes.gif

Clearance is TIGHT and while I did it exactly the way Mike did there ws one bolt I could only see by looking through th eshifter hole. Some gorilla also wrenched these puppies really tight. Getting an impact in there was a bear. I didn't realize for awhile that there was even a bolt left! The one that holds down that plastic vent tube was what hung me up. I finally got it by blind luck.

So, trans is out. I wasn't too gentle there at the end but I dragged the body out of there and it'll goto my friend's shop tomorrow or more likely Monday. Whew! Putting it back in will be VERY interesting. I WILL get some help and I might even try to get it over to my friend's shop when the time comes. That puppy is really heavy to manuever in such tight quarters - putting it in will be a real bear without a lift.

I'm beat icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Dude, that first line killed me... icon_smile.gif But it does sum it up pretty good I know. I've done alot of driveway transmission drops and there hasn't been a one of them that was fun EVER. icon_smile.gif Good luck with it.

Regards,

Lone