HybridZ

Calling all Turbo V8z's your experiences what you learned and what would you do diff?

Just as the title says. I've been toying with the idea of putting a turbo on my SBC carbed Z, What would you have done differently with your turbo setups? What worked and what didn't? Ive been doing a lot of reading and studying and I'm piecing together a plan, however now while I'm still in the planning stage what would you have done differently? What did you do that worked well? Lets pass on the knowledge here !

hey im new to these forums i just recetly heard about them so you might not take me quite seriously (up to you) but here is my knowledge so far. I will take pics and post up soon but so far what has worked out the best for my is the ebay xs power brand turbo headers that come straight out to the front of the motor, i had to swap the sides which caused me having to relocate the water temp sending unit to the intake manifold because the header flange does not have a cut out for it, now due to the shape of the headers i now had enough room for the turbo on the pass side to go underneath the alternator. I am also using the ebay t3/t4 turbochargers, the inner fender had to be cut for the air filters to fit off the turbos, i am stuck at this point do to having no money because i had to buy another car!:mad: But looking at it from this point its cake the intercooler piping looks easy and so does the exhaust. Sorry i didnt mention i am running a t56 tranny mated to an early block 355 with holley street/strip intake and demon carb. Direct port nitrous didnt cut it for my but i think im headed in the right direction now. I am curious to see some of the other builds!:icon4:

hey im new to these forums i just recetly heard about them so you might not take me quite seriously (up to you) but here is my knowledge so far. I will take pics and post up soon but so far what has worked out the best for my is the ebay xs power brand turbo headers that come straight out to the front of the motor, i had to swap the sides which caused me having to relocate the water temp sending unit to the intake manifold because the header flange does not have a cut out for it, now due to the shape of the headers i now had enough room for the turbo on the pass side to go underneath the alternator. I am also using the ebay t3/t4 turbochargers, the inner fender had to be cut for the air filters to fit off the turbos, i am stuck at this point do to having no money because i had to buy another car!:mad: But looking at it from this point its cake the intercooler piping looks easy and so does the exhaust. Sorry i didnt mention i am running a t56 tranny mated to an early block 355 with holley street/strip intake and demon carb. Direct port nitrous didnt cut it for my but i think im headed in the right direction now. I am curious to see some of the other builds!:icon4:

Do a search for turbomiester I believe he is running chevy/turbo combo

welcome to the forum

TTSBC280Z can you post some pics? I'm hoping that turbomiester is going to post here. I searched a bit and read some "this's and that's" My big issue right now is plumbing I'm having problems visualizing it, and id rather not cut apart my car to fit the turbo(s) (no leaning the radiator forward not much fender well demolition) I'm leaning towards a decent sized single my goal is 450rwhp (i know i can make this all motor) however i do enjoy Turbo lag I really honestly do its fun to have a surge of power (obviously not to late in the rev band) turbomustangs has given me alot of information however I'd like to see more setups on Z's and some that arnt so radical. I hope also that this thread could give good advice from experienced turbo v8'z vets who have had to learn the hard way, or finished something looked at it and said "you know what would have been easier and better" because I have done that a million times. Their is just too much room in front of my motor and its begging for a turbo !

Subscribing....... So ttsbc280z, are you using the ssautochrome headers? I have been trying to find somone with a first gen z that is using them with the jtr engine placement. I definently want some pics also. I have a 75 z that I am planning a single turbo blow through setup for a just a street cruiser. Very interested though. Lets see those pics.

James

That is Insane, His setup looks kinda like what I was planning with the block huggers single turbo he went fi tho im gonna stay blow through. nice !!! Did I mention i didn't want to go to overboard with the HP I like driving in the twisty's also.

If I had to do it over I would have gone single turbo with my Chevy V8.

You only buy one turbo, wastegate, BOV, etc.

More room for piping and an intercooler.

I don't regret having a square log exhaust manifold because it gives me plenty of clearance from the inner fender wells. And it moves the turbos up front where there is room, not at the sides.

Make sure you brace the unibody because the turbo will make insane torque.

You must have a great fuel pump and garden hose size fuel lines.

If your turbo is large enough, you will never be under boost,even at 70 mph on the freeway, until you mash the pedal.

I never downshift when I want to accelerate, the turbos act like a passing gear.

The best v8 blow through turbo site is turbo mustangs.com.

They have some insane carbed turbo rides.

Good luck

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=134781

thats all my pics if you havent seen them yet.

One thing i would do is look at about 40 turbo cars and see how there headers are setup. And decide if your going to go intercooler or not because that makes things complicated (at least for me). The thing that i regret the most is wasting time on making headers but i almost couldn't avoid that because there were few single turbo z's but you should have enough to look at to decide. If you don't have patients or the ability, buy a carb from CSU. it will be 98% perfect when you put it on if your even going blowthrough.

dont forget about anything when you do the headers and mount the turbo. Because trust me...it gets tight with a s400. (radiator, exhaust, compressor inlet and outlet) You may laugh but you'll find out you have alot less room when things come together.

This is great keep it coming !

Love the comment about using a turbo as a passing gear ! (will come in useful for me as I have a th400 and id like the ability to Cruise and daily drive)

I am currently undecided about an intercooler. I've seen alot of rides @ turbomustangs and various other setups that do not run one, However I do know I can see a power gain with one. On the flip side that power comes at a price complex piping. I'd personally like to keep my setup simple but effective and judging by my power goals I'm sure I can obtain them without and intercooler. However seeing as I'm attempting to keep my motor fairly stock and running fairly low boost 6-8 lds the lower intake temps and power gain may be necessary. I have looked at the CSU has anybody tried http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html Anybody running oil coolers? I read things that go both ways on these. Also where did you find your pressurized oil suppply from? Im thinking about taking it off of my already complex oil pressure sensor/ dodge omni fuel cutoff sensor and just adding yet another T and sending a small line to the turbo. Has anybody come up with a better soultion?

Yes, it's a holset pro 52, 71mm turbo. Intercooled and TPI so it fits under the stock hood, PG, 9 inch ford with a detroit locker, tubbed. You know street car. Engine is a dart block, eagle 3.5 stroke crank, 6 inch carillo rods, JE pistons, AFR 220 heads, custom hyd roller cam. Hoping to get about 500rwhp on pump gas and alot more on race gas.

yeah so i ended up spending my digital camera money at the strip club last night so i guess no pics this week. lol To answer some questions yes these are the ssautochrome turbo headers (they say xspower on them tho i dont know if that helps) anyways radiator wise i am using a factory replacemnt for a durango that is all aluminum (had to cut and reweld the endtanks the radiator would not fit in between the frame rails but it is not as thick as the factory z radiator although it is larger all the way around.) Now i am running an electric fan out of a chevy caprice (the car never goes over 180 degrees and there is a good 4 inches between the turbo and the fan.) Great setup in my mind especially if ceramic coating was applied to all the hot parts or even a turbo blanket with exhaust wrap on the downpipes would be a great way to go if you are cheap like me. Now my motor is a stock 350 rebuild step above the rv cam stock compression .30 over 4 bolt main with stock 194 heads with 1.6 roller rockers lol no screw in studs or anything of that nature! with cast pistons that came out of my buddies 91 trans am that was twin turboed and put down 786 to the ground and ran all season doing 9 second passes. If its tuned right and you dont rev it past 5500 it will live as long as you want it to! I dont care what people say but i have blown more engines n/a then forced induction due to the power band being in the top end up to 7000 instead of full 20lbs of boost by 2800 rpm's all the way up to 5500. Sorry about my poem here i just want people to go out and try doing this because it is much cheaper then a set of AFR heads and a nice roller cam which would not give you crap for gains comparing to this. If a turbo setup is done right i mean still using ebay turbo's and everything, there should be almost no lag and throttle response in a little car like this with insane amounts of torque really will put a smile on your face. 9 sec car easily with a 6 speed welded diff turbo axles and some suspension mods that i will note later. Ohh wait did i mention reliebly? yup just dont get too rev happy and it will live for a long time. Also Excessive blowby under full boost might cause breathers to pop out of the valve covers but who cares its a 300 dollar 350 and your hauling some serious ass!:-D FORGOT to mention i am running jtr motor mounts if that helps.!

twin turbo all the way due to the room to grow part of it and because one big singe turbo is gonna run you quite a few bucks and good luck fitting a 3.5 inch downpipe somewhere through the engine bay to get it to exit out the back. i like the idea of 2 2.5 inch pipes much better! and a set of nice garret turbos that will support way over 900hp would only run 600 dollars. maybe most people are not trying to go as far as i am but i just want to show those supra assholes how shitty the powerband on that 6 cylinder really is. Also if you guys look at my age yes im only 20 and yes i have built a 94 z28 m6 9 sec car i have built a 94 vr4 that i built a single turbo setup for and with a clutch, fuel pump, injectors, maft and front mount the car did an 11.1 and a 1989 dodge aries with a 2.5 turbo that runs consistent 12.40's and yes its on 30 psi but its still a 4 door beater that you can smash over garbage cans with! I know my cars the only think i dont know is how to hold a ford together they just seem to explode every time i drive them.:wink:

twin turbo all the way due to the room to grow part of it and because one big singe turbo is gonna run you quite a few bucks and good luck fitting a 3.5 inch downpipe somewhere through the engine bay to get it to exit out the back.

I got my single 76mm T6 for $125 new, just keep an eye out and who knows what you'll find. I run a 4" downpipe out of the rx7 engine bay which is much tighter than the 240z was. I run it out on the driver side with the steering and brake booster all in the way.

maybe most people are not trying to go as far as i am but i just want to show those supra assholes how shitty the powerband on that 6 cylinder really is.

It upgrades to an 88mm wheel in the same housing which is what I plan to do this coming winter along with the ported heads setting in the garage. If that won't run with a supra I don't know what will :-D

I got my single 76mm T6 for $125 new, just keep an eye out and who knows what you'll find. I run a 4" downpipe out of the rx7 engine bay which is much tighter than the 240z was. I run it out on the driver side with the steering and brake booster all in the way.

It upgrades to an 88mm wheel in the same housing which is what I plan to do this coming winter along with the ported heads setting in the garage. If that won't run with a supra I don't know what will :-D

yeah lol 4 inch downpipe thats ridiculous but you know what! it takes me 10 min to change all my plugs and its a breeze to work on.

And if i can find some info on converting lt1 aluminum heads to an early sbc then i got a set of AFR'S sittin here waiting because i went a different route with my camaro