HybridZ

Looking for a good 1975 L28 complete in NorCal

The compression in all cylinders is 150 with #2 being only 80. I would like to do as little machining as possible. My max budget on the enigne rebuild is 1800. The car sat for 12 years....finally have spark and fuel to the eng, still won't start. I want to get it running with the old engine first, just to see if I'm facing anyother cost...injectors, flowmeter...ect.

My friend recently spent close to $1500 on his L28. In that cost was a master rebuild kit with oversized pistons. The N42 head was given a valve job and all the lash specs set.

We assembled the motor ourselves. The machine shop is on Folsom Blvd. in Rancho Cordova.

does the compression in the bad cylinder come up when you add oil to the cylinder? If not, your problem isn't rings, its either a bad headgasket, or a sticking or burnt valve.

I may be missing a few other possibilities, but I wanted to make sure you realize a single, dry compression test showing low numbers on one cylinder does not, by itself, diagnose anything.

okay well,, im sticking my foot out on this one, but couldn't you simply re-ring the engine? Pull it, put it on a stand, pull the oilpan, remove that piston and con rod, and put new rings on it?

I mean, sure, its hackneyed.. but it would repair your car....

Otherwise, find a Junkyard. Chances are about even on finding a $1-200 engine here versus a local junkyard... unless Northern California has gotten as bad as South Florida has with these cars. :(

Doing just the rings has crossed my mind, but I'd kick myself if I did it and months later developed a rod knock. Last time I worked on a Z in the late 80's, the parts were everywhere, I could by used good engines at every recycle yard. I've called everyone in my area and they said "no that car is way too old." The yards know they can make way more money on the newer models than to waste time on older cars.

well, I would mine through craigslist in a 100 mile radius, maybe even post a couple of wanted ads.. certainly wanted ads here and on any other forum you can find. you ARE in california, it shouldn't be THAT hard to find a spare engine..

Good luck man!

• 3 weeks later...