HybridZ

Stock S30 clutch slaves - is it me, or do they fail too easily?

capt_furious

I've had my Z since March of '04 and I've gone through three clutch slaves. Is this normal? I just had another give out today on the way home from work. Seems as if these pieces are really failure prone, unless I'm doing something wrong. How often should they be flushed, if at all?

Seems as if these pieces are really failure prone, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Make sure you're not overstroking (careful boys) the clutch master. Check the clutch stop and clutch MC rod adjustment on your clutch pedal.

I've bought the slaves at Napa the last two times. The bag on the one that went on the car today said Made in Italy. Maybe it is just me.

The fluid's pretty dirty, I should flush it. Might be a big factor.

How can I tell if it's over stroking? Pull the dust boot off and have someone push in the pedal while I look at it?

I've got the adjustable pin and holed fork, if that's relevant.

The FSM has the procedure on page CL-6. Basically the distance between the pedal pad (where your foot goes) to the floor right behind the pedal pad should be 8.9" with the return spring removed and 8.8" with the return spring installed. You adjsut the height via the clevis on the clutch MC pushrod.

You also need to adjust the slave cylinder after adjusting the clutch pedal. Once the pedal is at the correct height and the slave adjusted, the clutch pedal should have 1" of free travel before the salve cylinder start moving.