HybridZ

Thoughts on this rust?

DuoWing

I can tell that most of it is probably coming from the taillights as the nuts holding them were generally loose, and the seals at points I could see past them. Anyway I started pulling those out to clean up. I can't exactly figure out how to loosen the trim around the quarter windows. Also it looks like since mine is an 87 with the different tail lights I need a gasket for the middle reverse light piece. I ordered it from BlackDragonAuto. There's always fun to be had. At least once it's done I'll feel alot better.

Maybe this will just eventually become a Build/Restore thread.

I guess luckily with how much water seemed to get in, I'm lucky that it's as mild as it is.

Here's with the taillights removed:

DSC00528.jpg

A shot of my interior, needs vacuumed out:

DSC00530.jpg

Finally my super tune-up:

DSC00517.jpg

I can tell that most of it is probably coming from the taillights as the nuts holding them were generally loose, and the seals at points I could see past them. Anyway I started pulling those out to clean up. I can't exactly figure out how to loosen the trim around the quarter windows. Also it looks like since mine is an 87 with the different tail lights I need a gasket for the middle reverse light piece. I ordered it from BlackDragonAuto. There's always fun to be had. At least once it's done I'll feel alot better.

Maybe this will just eventually become a Build/Restore thread.

I guess luckily with how much water seemed to get in, I'm lucky that it's as mild as it is.

Here's with the taillights removed:

DSC00528.jpg

A shot of my interior, needs vacuumed out:

DSC00530.jpg

Finally my super tune-up:

DSC00517.jpg

I know how you feel on being lucky.

I ripped out my entire interior over the weekend so I could rip out all the wires and swap them with an 85 GLL's so I can have full functionality from my digital dash. I was pleasantly surprise to find very little rust anywhere, the only noticeable area being under the seats towards the rear.

After a good hard rain, sure enough, there was a puddle in the passenger floor board. So I will be resealing EVERYTHING before I put the new carpeting and refinished interior back in. I also learned how crummy the T-top drain tubes are, and will be redesigning those (and A LOT of other things) to meet my specific desires. Your car is beautiful, I'd suggest examining the other problem areas while you are at it.

The corner glass isn't so bad, you just have to remove the panels surrounding them, and the bolts become easily accessible.

I've been lazy lately, and haven't messed with cleaning up my taillights too much or trying to get out the panels around the quarter windows. I just need to figure out how to remove the trim. I'll be getting to it in the next day or so. I've been working with my 280ZXT. The quarter windows from the writeups look pretty easy. I thought it was funny the writeups mention to use Mineral Spirits, I buy the stuff 2 gallons at a time. I love it for cleaning a surface before painting, applying rust paint, just cleaning, etc.

I've been lazy lately, and haven't messed with cleaning up my taillights too much or trying to get out the panels around the quarter windows. I just need to figure out how to remove the trim. I'll be getting to it in the next day or so. I've been working with my 280ZXT. The quarter windows from the writeups look pretty easy. I thought it was funny the writeups mention to use Mineral Spirits, I buy the stuff 2 gallons at a time. I love it for cleaning a surface before painting, applying rust paint, just cleaning, etc.

Sir, I envy you and your nice pair of cars :)

I'll be spending the better part of the day hacking an 85 GLL apart with my Sawz-All to gain access to the wiring in her belly. I'm not sure how nissan got the body harness in there, but the saw seems the best way to get it out. I might kick out the windshield and hack the whole roof off :)

Did the Turbo GLL cars have the compass in them? There's no spot anywhere that I've noticed for a compass. I was actually hoping mine had one as that's a pretty handy feature, but I guess they must have removed it? Either that or it was a part of the digital dash which I don't have. I know I was reading on AZ-Zbum's site that I think it was starting with the 87 or so years that the digital dash became an option on the GLLs

Did the Turbo GLL cars have the compass in them? There's no spot anywhere that I've noticed for a compass. I was actually hoping mine had one as that's a pretty handy feature, but I guess they must have removed it? Either that or it was a part of the digital dash which I don't have. I know I was reading on AZ-Zbum's site that I think it was starting with the 87 or so years that the digital dash became an option on the GLLs

The compass is a digital dash feature indeed. I can't wait to get mine working. It's not that great, but it's cool enough for me to want it.

• 2 weeks later...

Man have I been lazy, my poor Z31 has sat in the garage with no taillights for a while now. Anyway I really sat down and started cleaning up the taillights, got those done, then resealed them. I'm having a pain with cleaning off the center piece with the reverse light as it was a separate gasket and not butyl that's now hardened...

Then I figured I'm gonna kick myself if I put the rest of my interior back together and don't get the quarter windows done. So I figured out how to remove those. Within 20 minutes of really going at it, got the area where the quarter windows mount to the car all cleaned up and ready. Goona get hit with some rust bullet, just to be preventative just like my taillights. Gotta go buy some more butyl and just clean up the quarter windows and finally it'll be back together. So far I like doing the quarter windows better as it's just open space where as the taillights you have to clean in small grooves etc.

DSC00693.jpg

DSC00698.jpg

Rust Bullet where the taillights mount:

DSC00694.jpg

I think this really should become my Restoration and Eventually Build thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my taillights no longer leak, and from what I can tell my quarters don't either. I had no more water all over my hatch after a rain, but I did find one spot that was still wet. It was a spot that was dripping down into the spare tire well. I don't have a plug in it so the water runs out and as I've posted pics it's all painted so it's not a huge thing, but maybe you guys can help me figure it out.

DSC00706.jpg

DSC00707.jpg

The only thing I can think of is that water is running from somewhere, maybe the passenger quarter still leaks a bit and water is running down to this spot? I couldn't find it wet anywhere else so I don't know. The only other thing I can figure is that little rubber stopper or whatever it is that's bolted right there is leaking a bit of water and it's running over to that little bend in the metal there where it then drips off?

Edit: I think it was the nut that holds the window in place. I was looking at the writeup that was on Xenon's site and I noticed that in the picture the guy puts the butyl rope on the inside of where the studs/nuts would go. Most of the seal had expanded to fill it, but it looked like on the other side of that stud the seal hadn't made it around. There were some drops of water right around that nut on the inside of the car when I removed it. So I took some of that butyle rope and tried to jam it in that spot under the nut, and then tighten it down. Hopefully that does the trick.

• 2 months later...

on my 85 I had it BAD. It was coming in from the taillights, and the triangle windows. I bought a roll of butyl tape and resealed them both. That was in 2002. I saw the car in the junkyard last year, so I dont know it held up over the years. It did work great for the year and a half I owned the car.....

I thought the redesigned lights were designed partially to better help keep water out? The only way to know is get into the hatch, shut it, and have a buddy run a water hose over EVERYTHING. Chances are, youll find it..

good luck

My experience with owning several 87-88 cars is the most likely area for leaks in the hatch are:

1. The seal between the tail lights and the body.

2. The rubber hatch seal.

3. Quarter window sealer.

4. Antenna drain hose.

The tail light are hard to get out in cold weather. I had to use a heat gun on the inside to warm the butyl sealer.