HybridZ

Windshield Trim Help!

TABrinn

I had my '71 windshield replaced and I'm now trying to put on the new trim. I swear I'm about pulling my hair out! I must be doing something wrong! My manual says to start at the outside lip, work it in as far as possible, then work on the inner lip with a "glaziers tool". I've no clue what a glaziers tool is or where to get one. I've tried to use every substitute imaginable with no luck. I'm afraid if I keep manhandeling it, its going to tear one of the lips. Tips, tricks, tool sugestions, what type lubricant is recommended?

Use lots of soapy water and lots of patience. You can find the tool you need at a glass shop. NAPA may also have one. You need something thin and flexable that won't cut the rubber lip. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

:-D It isn't the easiest job to do. But you can do it. If you haven't installed it yet. Put the new rubber on and install the trim before putting the glass in the car. Use a fine cord (something like 550 cord, that is used in parachute lines)(wrap it twice around the rubber with it setting in the seal area, tuck it in if needed). Lay the glass in the frame area. Slowly pull the cord out from inside the car (it will cause the rubber to go over the frame and seal it to the frame). Take your time and it will come out ok. If needed you can also use a flat tip screw driver to help seat the rubber onto the frame.

If you have already installed the glass, set outside and let it warmup. Stick the trim in with the outside being first. Now use two small flat tip screw drivers (pocket size) to lift the inside rubber over the trim to seat it. Real slow on this or you will rip the rubber. Seat the long strips first and then the corner pieces. Use a lot of soapy water to help lube it. It will slowly go together. Just take your time and don't expect it to be easy to do. Having another helper doesn't hurt either. Good Luck, Rich.:mparty: