HybridZ

Which Z to build...

Okay, I'm suffering something of a conumdrum. I have an almost rust free 78 280Z that I'm looking at fixing up. Maybe to swap in a L28ET into. But recently I found a 72' 240Z in almost the same condition for $1000 bucks, though it's been sitting for almost 15 years in a New Mexico front yard..

My question is Which Coupe is a better candidate for restoration and upgrading? Is there much stock performance difference between the models aside from the engine and transmission which I will likely swap anyways for the L28ET? 30 vs 36 years, were there any major changes redesigns other than the spare tire size?

I just want to know if it's worth spending another $1000 bucks on an older car, especially since I can really only afford to fix up one at a time.

[edit]

ooh, just read the sticky.. Sorry if this was answered already up there.

Thanks

Phar.

BOTH :) !!! Seriously, I've had a 1977 Z and loved it but sold it. I've just recently purchased a 240Z. To me, I think the 240Z's are a lot sexier than the later models although a lot more rigid components (differential, engine, EFI, etc.) came with the 280z's. I like the location of the turn lights in the front of the 240 as opposed to the 280. I also like the rear brake lamps.

I'd keep the 280 and save $1K from the 240z purchase. The $1K would go a long way into some awesome 280Z mods!

Good luck.

Depends on your long-term goals. The 240Z is about 300 lbs lighter than the 280Z because of extra structure done in the 280 to improve it's overall strength.

The 240 is a restorable car from a collector standpoint but not so much for the 280. From that standpoint I would go with a 280 if I was building a modified car with higher HP but, if I was going for a stock restoration, I would go with the 240.

damn, i hate dilemas like that.

I had a similar dilema when I was looking at buying my Z. There were no good Z's for ages, then all of a sudden a mechanically/electrically excelent z came up that needed body work and a good bodied car with not quite as good turbo engine (at least electrically and mechanically) came up with a very good body. Man it was a killer. Like you I only had money for one, and over hear it was 14k for 1 and 12k for the other.

From a purely nostalgic point of view i would go with the 240 and keep it L series. (I know, this isn't a pureset website, but i didn't say, don't modify the L series) Perhaps go turbo or big NA stroker (I think that would be my next project, if I ever get this one back on the road).

Thanks for the great input guys! Yeah, I was thinking of doing some mods, like adding the L28ET etc. and I've already got the 280Z so, maybe I'll wait on the 240. (it's sat for 14 years, maybe it'll stay longer) The 240 is/was tempting though, but my wife "doesn't want a car lot" in our yard. I'm not sure I'll pass it up, but I'm leaning tward letting it go until I get my 280Z "done".

Thanks again

Phar

I got a 75 280Z and I love it. From a collectors point of view the 240Z was the one that started it all, 300lbs lighter, sexier bumpers all around, etc....but here's how I look at the 280Z...Technically speaking it's rarer than the 240Z..Why? because it was only manufactured for North America...meaning no one else has it. Also, it is the ending of the Z's before the 350Z came out. If you live in California you would also know that the last year for smog exempt was 75 meaning the 280Z just made it for one year. I've got a bad habit of collecting rare stuff, I'll post updates on my car once my engine bay gets painted. I've got quite a few Nismo parts in my Z (^_^) not too many people can say they got Nismo in their Z. In the end it's up to what you want and what makes you happy. Don't worry about what other people think, get what you want and makes you happy. Then you can build from their

I got a 75 280Z and I love it. From a collectors point of view the 240Z was the one that started it all, 300lbs lighter, sexier bumpers all around, etc....but here's how I look at the 280Z...Technically speaking it's rarer than the 240Z..Why? because it was only manufactured for North America...meaning no one else has it. Also, it is the ending of the Z's before the 350Z came out. If you live in California you would also know that the last year for smog exempt was 75 meaning the 280Z just made it for one year. I've got a bad habit of collecting rare stuff, I'll post updates on my car once my engine bay gets painted. I've got quite a few Nismo parts in my Z (^_^) not too many people can say they got Nismo in their Z. In the end it's up to what you want and what makes you happy. Don't worry about what other people think, get what you want and makes you happy. Then you can build from their

Yeah, it would be nice to have both cars tho, but budgets are a bi*ch. That and I have too many cars already. Hopefully the 240 will stick around a while longer so that I can finish up some on my 78' and get rid of the 86' I've got and earn up some brownie points w/ the wife... I'm still keeping my 92' as my daily driver and well the Jeep is just for romping on rocks. ;)

My 78, along w/ paint and the new interior, I want to put on 240Z bumpers, and a P90a head. I'm also looking into different EFI options, because I'd like to increase MPG..

Phar