HybridZ

Turbo 350 Woes

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 71 240Z with a 327 and a Turbo 350. Last week I was driving and when it shifted to 3rd, it felt like I slammed the brakes on. The car just slowed down very fast. Then a couple seconds later, it drove normal. Then it would feel like I slammed the brakes again. This cycle just repeated. I had to drive home in 2nd. The next morning it drove fine except it would make a grinding/crunching sound once in a while. The next day it stopped making the sounds and seemed to drive pretty normal. However, I've lost a couple races now because when I hit second gear I pretty much stop accelerating until I hit third. What's wrong with my tranny? Is it broken? I need this fixed because I lost to a truck. It did have a supercharger, but it still sucked. I was at his bumper at the end of the race, so I think I did good for having some pretty major problems. But anyway, any suggestions?

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: Nick_327Z ]

I had that happen to the TH350 in my 70 Camaro way back in HS. It was a clutch pack or something burnt up.

Not to worry, the TH350 is a cheap and easy tranny to fix. I'd just find another unless you want to tackle rebuilding it. Or have a local shop rebuild it.

Nick,

I have a 350 and 400 laying in the garage. If your's is completely toast, let me know. Both of mine are in good condition. Since you are 'abusing' the tranny with racing, you may want to consider something stronger than the 350, a 400 or 700R4.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I don't about where you are but here I can have a TH350 rebuilt including the kit for less than $200 with stock type parts.....and not much more for a little beef.

jake

Could be the sprag or drum..You may want to check one other thing. I had a TH350 that I thought was dying and it turned out to be

the differential trying to lock up...

It would drive normal for a little bit and then BAM it would feel like the brakes were getting slammed on... There is a steel shaft the keeps the planetary gears in place in the diff and it broke. When this shaft started to slide out of it natural position it woul try to get wedged in between the ring and pinion gear in the diff. causing it to feel as though the tranny was locking up...

Myron

Guest Anonymous

What kind of modifications are needed to put a TH400 in instead of the TH350? I would like to upgrade, but if I have to do a lot of other mods I probably won't be able to afford it.

Guest Anonymous

And the TH350 takes less HP to run than the bigger TH400.

This will sound funny, but pull the dipstick and look at it, is it clean red fluid, or brown. Sniff it.. hehe, if it smells like a old vanish bucket then its toasted something. I would also quit driving it until its fixed, if it acted like it slammed the brakes on, then it sounds like some hard parts have been broken. Further running will just jack more components up and that is just extra $$$ if you plan on rebuilding it.

Regards,

Lone