HybridZ

all wheel drive z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey, this is my first post on hybrid and it may be stupid so just say so if it is. Anyway I am 18 and my friend has all wheel drive eclispe that is stock. And it has pretty nice take off. Now like i said this may be stupid, but could it be possible to make an all wheel drive z. I know this would take some fabrication of special parts. I was reading some of the posts and if this is possible wouldn't be better than RWD. And if you did i am just figuring but i would think you would take off like a bat out of hell. that new subaru with the turbo has 227 hp and does 0-60 in 5.8 sec witch is not to shabby for those specs. plus in high hp situations wouldn't it take some of the stress of the unibody frame the z has. by the way i have a 77 280 2+2 that i bought for $350 from some doctor. he did not know what was wrong with it and when I looked at it all it needed was the exhaust gasket replaced and a new air flow meter. A good deal by anymeans I think. Thanks for reading and replying.

Guest Anonymous

I love the idea of a AWD Z. Do a search on the 6 cyl. Tech board for aug. 16, 2001 and you will find a great thread intitled "AWD Z" on the subject. You just missed the thread by a few days. Welcome aboard.

Hey dude, if anyone can help you its this group! You've started well by asking questions and trying to find out more about this swap...

However, its my opinion that unless you have about $20,000 to spend, OR 5 years to do this kind of swap, its just not going to happen. Maybe I'm considering this too much from an engineering perspective, (go figure) but we are basically talking about designing a new drivetrain for the Z from the ground up. Suspension, brakes, steering, and driveline all would have to be redone. I'm currently in a group of 4 people that are designing the suspension for our FSAE race car. The 4 of us spent 900 man hours on the suspension alone just to be happy with it. And we were lucky enough to not have to build to any preset specs, such as driveline types, specific wheels, etc.

Now tht said we were 4 engineering students, and engineers are notorious for over analyzing and over building stuff.

Not trying to dissuade you from this, I just want to make sure you get a picture of what your in store for before you go nuts building it.

If I wanted an AWD Z, the first thing I'd do is look for a platform that could be used to mount a 240Z body (with the floor/inner fenders/hatch floor/etc. cut out) onto. Maybe a stretched WRX? The Z is pretty narrow, so that's going to limit you.

The GMC platform is much larger than a Datsun. Also as noted in the other post, under chassis clearance for driveshafts and t-case is an issue. I have a friend with two Typhoons, a daily driver and a wreck. I am really after him to put the motor from the wreck in a Z car, although he wants to keep the AWD. We have looked at the truck setup and my Z and the truck is just too big, check out the TH700 and t-case in the JTR TPI/TBI book. The rear driveshaft would have to be about 6" long!