HybridZ

which headers and why?

So, I just ordered John's motor mounts and tranny mount, plus the driveshaft. I figured I would hold out on the headers cause I haven't figured out which one I wanted just yet. That's where you guys come in. Which headers did you go with? The Broken Kitty or JTR? Did you get the JTR ceramic coated? Is it worth it? What about getting it Jet Hot coated instead? Thanks

I did a quick search and didn't find anything that I thought answered my question

I have a set of ceramic coated headers on my roadster, have been on there for almost 4 years and they still look brand new. It's said that ceramic coating runs cooler, but I have no before and after comparison. Also, I think Jet Hot is a brand of ceramic coating, but I'm not positive. I know I'd never go straight steel headers again, if only for vanity reasons. I suppose you go steel and do header wrap, may be just as effective, or even more, but I'm not an authority.

The downfall to header wrap is that it holds moisture right up against the bare metal. This makes ceramic coating a very attractive option because there isn't anything helping your headers rust away. I wonder what the actual difference is in the amount of thermal retention between the two methods. What about wrapped and ceramic coated headers? I'm sure it's just overkill though.

...I think Sanderson builds a quality header.

Mike

Just want to back-up Mike on this, yes, Sanderson makes a quality header. I resently replaced a set of Flowtechs with a new set of Sandersons. Far better quality for a marginal premium in cost.

FYI, I have a tpi motor, not an LSx.

The ceramics do run cooler, long story ill try to make short. I went to a dyno day with my '04 GTO and there was another '04 GTO there too, on the dyno both GTO's oil dipsticks shot out after doing 3rd gear pulls and when the oil got on my headers (ceramic) it only smoked, and when the oil got on the other GTO's headers (not ceramic) the oil caught fire.

I will definitely be ordering ceramic coated headers when I get to that stage of my build. Hope that helped

yea, I was leaning towards ceramic but I wanted to get something that wasn't going to stain. So I was thinking about getting just a pair of headers and having the Jet Hot coated later. Jet Hot coating can be had in a variety of colors and thought that the black would do nicely.

http://www.jet-hot.com/colorchart.html

So I was also wondering what color the ceramics were from JTR and if the JCI headers are comparable to the JTR ones.