HybridZ

2JZ-GTE vs 7M-GTE

JSM

I read through wikipedia descriptions, searched here, and googled to not find anyone listing differences. (Model years I understand.)

Can someone tell me flow differences, performance, after market part availability?

www.supramania.com has more information and more knowledgeable people than any place listed yet.

7Ms are undersquare (83x91), 2Js are square(86x86). Both have a displacement of just shy of 3l, both have extremely tough factory internals. 2JZ heads flow a lot better, both stock and otherwise. In fact, a fully ported and +1mm oversize valve (biggest you can get) 7M head is still out flowed by a stock 2JZ head after 5500RPMs (might be 6500 RPMs, can't recall for sure). 7Ms come with under torqued head gaskets from the factory, and the oiling system leaves much to be desired.

That said, 7Ms aren't bad motors at all. Factory internals have been proven to hold over 700rwhp. They're also a LOT cheaper than a 2JZGTE, and very easy to find. An alternative to the expensive 2JZGTE is the 2JZGE-T, basically an NA-T setup. A thicker headgasket (at least 1.3MM, most use a 2MM) is used, and that's basically it. The factory motors have also been taken over 700rwhp (once the compression was lowered, of course). 2JZGE heads don't flow as much as the GTE heads, but they are still very good.

• 2 weeks later...
www.supramania.com has more information and more knowledgeable people than any place listed yet.

7Ms are undersquare (83x91), 2Js are square(86x86). Both have a displacement of just shy of 3l, both have extremely tough factory internals. 2JZ heads flow a lot better, both stock and otherwise. In fact, a fully ported and +1mm oversize valve (biggest you can get) 7M head is still out flowed by a stock 2JZ head after 5500RPMs (might be 6500 RPMs, can't recall for sure). 7Ms come with under torqued head gaskets from the factory, and the oiling system leaves much to be desired.

That said, 7Ms aren't bad motors at all. Factory internals have been proven to hold over 700rwhp. They're also a LOT cheaper than a 2JZGTE, and very easy to find. An alternative to the expensive 2JZGTE is the 2JZGE-T, basically an NA-T setup. A thicker headgasket (at least 1.3MM, most use a 2MM) is used, and that's basically it. The factory motors have also been taken over 700rwhp (once the compression was lowered, of course). 2JZGE heads don't flow as much as the GTE heads, but they are still very good.

700+whp on stock 7m internals ...are you sure about that? If so for how long...im inclined to think if 7m's are so stout why even build them then?

Poorly maintained ones previously owned by morons AREN'T! That motor was rebuilt properly to spec by a shop using a factory Toyota bottom end.

I don't know, honestly. The same reason people build 2JZ bottom ends? (None at all) Quite sure, dyno sheet and vids from a reputable member. 100+ track passes on the motor since it was rebuilt, all above 500rwhp, the 700 number is fairly recent so I can't comment on longevity just yet!

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72016

Shouldn't need to log in to read it, as it's in general. I personally know two guys making well over 500rwhp that have been doing it for years with no issues, stock bottom end.

Poorly maintained ones previously owned by morons AREN'T! That motor was rebuilt properly to spec by a shop using a factory Toyota bottom end.

I don't know, honestly. The same reason people build 2JZ bottom ends? (None at all) Quite sure, dyno sheet and vids from a reputable member. 100+ track passes on the motor since it was rebuilt, all above 500rwhp, the 700 number is fairly recent so I can't comment on longevity just yet!

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72016

Shouldn't need to log in to read it, as it's in general. I personally know two guys making well over 500rwhp that have been doing it for years with no issues, stock bottom end.

500hp is what i expected...but 700whp is a whole different story...good to know, that the old 7m is just as strong as the JZ brothers.....

Younger brothers ;)

As a Z owner I thought you'd know that newer is not always better ;)

(2JZ>7M in performance, no doubts there, but in terms of soul, 7M wins by leaps and bounds)

In stock form jz's are better..but the 7m is a powerful motor and i aways knew that...