HybridZ

S30 inner rack ends thread size?

Does anyone know what the inner rack thread/pitch is? This is the part that screws into the rack see pic below for sample (taken from another topic on this site)

Is it a M18 M20 or what?

I thought I would ask before I pull my rack apart to findout (there is nothing wrong with my rack and if I can keep it together that would be cool if someone knows the answer ie I don't have to strip it to find out)

I have tried searching the web (for a few nights now) and I can't find the answer to the question. So does anybody know?

rackend_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...

The moog site lists one with the correct size, for a mustang 2. If there's a correct sized outer to go with that you wouldn't have to adapt anything, as there's tons of stuff based off mustang 2 front suspension in the aftermarket.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 240Z steering rack disassembled on my work bench, and I just finished assembling and installing a 260Z rack in my car.  There are some significant differences between these two racks, but they do use the same inner tie rod.

When I quoted the M25 x 1.25 thread I was incorrect.  I knew from measurements that the shaft is 25mm, and I searched another forum where they reported the M25 x 1.25 thread.  I apologize for spreading misinformation.

To make up for it, I went back out in the garage and measured for myself.  Here is what I got:

Major diameter of external threads of rack shaft:  0.978 inches  ( 24.8 mm)

Pitch .394 inches for 10 turns of the inner tie rod onto the shaft  (.394 inches = 10mm for 10 turns).  Therefore the pitch is 1.0.

If you compare my measurements to the metric thread data presented here:

http://mdmetric.com/tech/M-thead%20600.htm 

you will see that the thread on the rack shaft and inner tie rod is M25 x 1.0.

Edit:  If you copy and paste the link into your browser then it works.  It doesn't work if you click on it for some reason.

The text editor on this forum doesn't like me.

Edited by 74_5.0L_Z