HybridZ

240z handling problems

:newbie: let me start by saying a warm welcome to everyone:-D i have a 1970 240z with a 327 chevy v8 installed in the scarab position (set forward) upon getting car and driving it for the first time it scared me not due to the power well to be honest it did cos first time out while giving it a damn good thrashing when changing from 3rd to 4th at speed i accidently put it back in 2nd :nono:and the rear end locked up to say there were more skid marks in my pants than on the road is a understatement more carefull now,well back to the story the car wondered and handled horrible this is my second 240z so i had a comparison, i had to change things so ordered a complete superflex bushing kit new kyb strut inserts and a cosmo coilover kit i thought this should:2thumbs:cure it well i fitted all the front bushes fitted the strut inserts not bad quality for the price and also the cosmo duel spring coilover kit 8kg springs nice as well but even though the coilovers are fully down the car is still over1" higher than before, and the strut insert piston travel between strut tower top and bump stop is only around1.5"this cant be right any how i took car out for a spin nice and steady car obviously drives better more responsive in some ways BUT :banghead:if i turn the steering wheel fast from side to side while driving its as if the car is snaking or rolling or as if the body of the car is a second behind what the wheels are doing and not following the wheels in time i know the ride height could do this by the centre of gravity being higher etc but one way or curing this is put the rear strut inserts in the front if strong enough because they are smaller cut the strut tower down to accomadate the insert and fit the coilover kit this way i could adjust the kit to the higher setting while still lowering the car giving an improved centre of gravity and also more suspension travel because piston on insert will be out more i know this is quite radical but i can see no way of changing the ride height, the kit has been installed correctly, or is the handling due to the fact i only did the front and as of yet not the rear as well althuogh i cant see how this could change things, also i know the v8 will have altered the centre of gravity on the car but would the symptoms be as described because my last car was standard 2.4 engine. have i missed something along the way i would appreciate advice /guidance:hail::hail:

Aren't the cosmo coilovers the cheap ebay ones? I'd suggest you invest your money in a proper coilover kit like the modern motorsports or ground control setup. Did you section your strut tubes? That could be the reason why the car is sitting so high. Also, a front and rear sway bar might help stiffen the car up some, but its really a matter of personal taste. Something like a 1" front and 3/4" rear. What are your goals with the car? If its just a street car some nice lowering springs and struts will probably be fine. Check out eibach, suspension techniques, or tokico lowering springs and tokico illuminas for struts.

the cosmos are the cheap ones but they came with the car so i just fitted them and yes you get what you pay for but to be honest there not that bad, the quality is pretty good but thats another story, car already has front/rear sway bars fitted ive put new superflex in the front but i havent done the rear yet i was about to do it this afternoon when upon taking the locking wheel nut off the car i broke the key and its unique so ill have to order one so had to postpone that job until i get the key

yes but on the comos you they say dont do that because they have no colars and the threaded tube sits over the strut tower, i myself think it is wrong you have to cut it to lower the car also if i cut it how will the strut insert still fit it will be to long or are you suggesting what i said earlier about fitting smaller inserts which ones are suitable for this does anyone know

First navigate to the Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis section of this site. Second, read The Strut Thread all the way through (top of the page, sticky). Third, use the search function to find other threads about strut sectioning. After that much reading and mulling on what you find you will probably have many of your questions answered.

I bought my car with the V8 in the Scarab position with overheating problems even after I added a huge aluminum radiator, hood louvers and two pusher fans. A switch to the JTR conversion lowered the motor allowing for a full size 14 inch air cleaner and improved the cooling by allowing the airflow to go around the motor. I was able to install a single puller fan and radiator shroud. JTR also offsets the motor 3/4 inch making room for shift linkage and better drive shaft alignment.

One important note: Run a 195 degree thermostat. I talked to the Permacool fan techs about my setup and they recommended a 195 degree thermostat. The 165 degree thermostat actually made the car run hotter! I don't understand but it had something to do with the fluid going through the Griffin radiator too fast to be cooled.

Moving the battery to the right rear helps with weight distribution and is not that difficult or expensive. Weight distribution was improved.

I had a similar handling issue with my mostly stock suspension (loose weaving feeling). It turned out to be a broken left rear control arm bolt. Very dangerous condition I might add. Might be worth taking a look at. But it sounds like your handling issues may be a bit more complicated.

as of yet i havent checked the rear for much only a loose propshaft, to be honest im hoping when i fit new bushes and suspension on the rear i find something wrong, because if not and car is still the same ill have to seriously think about moving the engine back 5 " to the jtr position if that doesnt cure it im at a loss, where i live there is a roundabout and its very tight on the curve my old 240z could go all way round at 45mph without looseing the rear end (only just), i went round it in this 240z and at just over 35mph (if that) the rear end was comming round and i had to ease off otherwise it would have spun the car, i cant believe how different in handling these 2 cars are, im wondering with the v8 240z being a series 1 is it just to light 2400lb for the v8 power,

Even in the Scarab position, I did not have this degree of problems with the stock suspension. If anything, the car should be understeering not oversteering. You have got something loose, bent or broke in the rear suspension. Check the front differential mount. They tend to split with age and a V8. Surely someone has not welded up the differential.