HybridZ

Thermostat housing

Six_Shooter

So in my EFI swap, I am making (maching fuel rail stock to be exact), and have used an Accel 2' fuel rail stock.

In a 1973 240Z

Originally had Weber DGVs.

I have an N42 EGR intake, modified to fit O-ring injectors.

F54/P90 (came already installed in car).

My problem is the fittings in the end of the fuel rail hit the thermostat housing. Now I still have a bit that I can cut off to move the fittings towards the rear of the car, but I can't remove enough to completly clear the thermostat housing.

In looking through some posts on here, it seems there is a difference between the "early" L6 and the "later" L6, I have not been able to find the information that says when this switchover too place. When did that happen?

It looks as though the "later" thermostat housing would clear my fuel rail and fittings, due to the bolt pattern being different, I've read that there are 3 bolts, instead of just two that I have, and it looks like the one bolt is moved. It is one of the bolts that is giving me the most problem right now.

I have thought about cutting the fuel rail on an angle and welding an aluminium bing to it, to clear the T-stat housing, but would rather not have to do that.

Can anybody shed some difinitive light on this for me?

I can't seem to find any close up pictures of this area on the L6, what I see is wider shots.

If this is what I need, does anybody have a T-stat housing they can spare (upper and lower)?

Thanks

• Administrators

I had the same issue with my L-28, N-42 intake, O-ring injectors, (’85 Vette injectors), Mega Squirt EFI. I had the later 3 hole style thermostat housing.

I ended up making mine a semi-return less fuel rail and just installed a plug in that end of the fuel rail. I didn’t have any issues heat related or otherwise.

Fuelrail3Medium.jpg

DSC_7982Medium.jpg

DSC_7981Medium.jpg

Stock fuel routing…

Norm.jpg

My semi-returnless fuel routing…

Returnless.jpg

Hope this helps,

Paul

I had the same issue with my L-28, N-42 intake, O-ring injectors, (’85 Vette injectors), Mega Squirt EFI. I had the later 3 hole style thermostat housing.

Hope this helps,

Paul

That's odd. I am running the same later model thermostat housing and did not have a single issue.

distcover.JPG

EngineAfter.JPG

Thanks for the idea Braap (and for the reply to my PM). I had though about plumbing the fuel system by either feeding the inlet farther down the fuel rail, or pulling the return from father down the rail. Not quite like your "semi-returnless" system. My only worry would then be the #1 injector possibly not getting enough fuel supply. I have seen system plumbed similar though and don't seem to have issues.

KTM; it was actually that picture that lead to me look farther into the thermostat housing and possible differences.

Does anyone know the year that they started with this "later" 3 bolt thermostat housing?

Thanks for the replies.

• Administrators

Bo,

At what depth are your injectors inserted in the manifold? They are the O-ring style top and bottom correct?

I bored the injector openings and massaged the injector bosses extensively which sunk the injectors deeper into the manifold.

Intake1Large.jpg

Intake2Medium.jpg

These pics are of another N-42 intake I built for friend using Ford Mod O-ring injectors. Note how much lower the fuel rail sits vs the OE injectors and tubeular fuel rail…

FuelRail2Medium.jpg

Fuelrail1Medium.jpg

I think that might be part of my problem as well, my injectors sit quite low in the intake, and that moves the fuel rail quite close to the T-stat housing. I know I can space it up just a bit using O-rings under the body of the injector to space it up just a bit, but still won't be enough to enough to clear the T-stat housing.

KTM, I figured that just about any ZX would have the "later" housing, but I hate to assume all of them do, just because they are ZXes. "ass-u-me"

Paul, I am running the 7MGTE (Supra) 440cc injectors (11 mm o-ring). I simply used the stock lower o-ring and the 11 mm o-ring at the rail. I do not know just how deep the injectors sit in the manifold. The top of the lower o-ring is flush with the injector body, that is, they are as deep as they can go.

The 7MGTE injector "pintles" are not very long, not much longer than the depth of the stock lower o-ring.

Six Shooter, I know the old saying, but you gotta start some place. :)

To add to BRAAP's Generous posts...

You can probably do it...it seems to depend on the length of the fuel rail past the #1 injector:

"Newer style" Thermostat Housing:

('82 ZXT)

p1010273.jpg

p1010274.jpg

p1010275.jpg

"240Z style" thermostat housing:

p10102776.jpg

p1010277.jpg

Hope this helps...

Yeah that definatly looks like the "later" style T-stat housing would solve my issues, I'm also thinking that I will need to shorten the rail just a bit, to gain a tad more clearance.

By looking at the "extreme close up" picture of the T-stat housing (thanks hughdogz), it looks like that bolt boss could be cut off and smoothed out to gain a bit more clearnce for the fittings as well.

So it looks like anyone converting to EFI, and using an O-ring rail would have thier best results using the "later" T-stat housing. I'm sure for most people this wouldn't be or hasn't been an issue, because it seems that anyone making this conversion is doing so from an existing (stock) EFI system, that it seems should have (I hate to ass-u-me again) the 3 bolt T-stat housing.

• 2 weeks later...