HybridZ

Dash Cap

djbit

So I redid my dash with the full cap, and also installed white custom overlays on the gauges. Yes, it was all a pain in the butt and more so now that I routed the wiring incorrectly and have to take off the dash again. The center air/temp controller console is so annoyingly in the way.

Sorry guys, just venting a little. I'll post some pics when it's done and in place again. 72 240z.

I agree with how annoying that heater control panel is to remove. I've wanted to change the colour of my vac/boost gauge ever since I put it in a month ago. But I also want to change from the gauges that I installed, it turns out I don't really care for how small thay all are. Now I need to find places for the other gauges, that I'll be moving.....

All in fun though, right?

I'll take some tonight.

edit: My camera needed charging...tonight pictures for sure. Overall, it looks great compared to the old cracked dash.

I designed the white faces with Photoshop, nothing crazy. I added the Datsun logo to all gauges and put the word "turbo" on the RPM gauge. I used photo paper to print and a circle cutter thing to for making nicer cuts (not perfect).

I did end up scratching the cap in a few places during the three times I had to install and uninstall.

Pics!!!

My dash is s trashed....I would like to see how the dash caps work out.

Here are a few pics. I plugged all the electrical stuff back in but I screwed up the position of the leds behind the tach and speedometer. The right signal arrow stays lit when I turn the key. When I activate the right directional light the entire gauge blinks, doh! Same with the high beam. The blue slit in the speedometer stays on and when I hit the highbeam switch the entire gauge get's brighter. I really hope I can fit my hand from under the dash to switch the bulb plugs!

dash1_web_thumb.jpg

dash2_web_thumb.JPG

dash3_web_thumb.JPG

dash4_web_thumb.jpg

My dash was cracked pretty bad. I just cut the parts that formed an uneven surface and I didn't fill the cracks with anything. I probably could of used that product called "Great Stuff". It's a spray on foam that dries hard filling the cracks.

I did paint the bottom portion of the dash with black vinyl interior paint. Although you can't really see it, it still made it look waaay better than before. If you are interested in repairing your current dash and not use a dash cap, you must follow this link:

http://classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23919&highlight=dash+repair

I also used alligator clips all around once I glued the dash cap on. They are pretty cheap at harbor freight. I left it over night to dry.

I used a motorsports full dash cap. It was like 89 bucks when I bought it like 11 months ago.

Attached is a picture of my cracked dash.

Looks great!

What did you use to re do your dash?

Is there some kind of "Paint-on" stuff we can use, to cover the entire dash, and fill in the huge cracks while we're at it?

dash_old_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the templates, so I can just print those off as they are on photo paper and they will work? Or do I need to experiment with sizing? Those look great, better than spending a bunch on new gauges.

They should print the right size but you will need to do a few test cases cutting your circles around the speedometer and tach. So use regular paper and a fast draft mode on your printer (save ink) until you know how big the circle needs to be. I recommend having your gauges out and test the fitment as you experiment.

That's a great resource below - thanks!

I made myself a list of parts for when I do it:

220 grit sandpaper

SEM Plastic/leather prep http://www.yourautotrim.com/semplpr.html

SEM texture coating http://www.yourautotrim.com/semteco.html

SEM trim black/blue http://www.yourautotrim.com/semdye.html

My dash was cracked pretty bad. I just cut the parts that formed an uneven surface and I didn't fill the cracks with anything. I probably could of used that product called "Great Stuff". It's a spray on foam that dries hard filling the cracks.

I did paint the bottom portion of the dash with black vinyl interior paint. Although you can't really see it, it still made it look waaay better than before. If you are interested in repairing your current dash and not use a dash cap, you must follow this link:

http://classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23919&highlight=dash+repair

I also used alligator clips all around once I glued the dash cap on. They are pretty cheap at harbor freight. I left it over night to dry.

I used a motorsports full dash cap. It was like 89 bucks when I bought it like 11 months ago.

Attached is a picture of my cracked dash.

Got my dash cap on today. Went pretty well, had to make one small incision on one of the side vents to get it to fit properly but other than that it went well.

One thing that I might have to do in the next day or so is repaint the sides that arent covered by the cap. I sprayed them with a black paint for plastics but It isnt quite the same shade. Ill have to get pictures once I pull off all the duct tape.

IMG_1491.JPG

The door to the glove box doesnt fit but I had planned to just put a flat piece of plastic over it with gauges and such, both the trip and dim turn switches wont work unless you pull the knobs off. (atleast the dim one went on, the trip reset knob wont go on)

Thats the only bit that I don't like about the full covers. They don't cover the sides completely. That and the fact that the color of the plastics don't quite match. I just have mine in place on the dash, but not glued down for now. As soon as I glue mine in I'll have to Armorall it to see if it changes to a more suitable shade and matches the glove box door.

Looks great (and nice shirt)..:)

IMG_1491.JPG

The door to the glove box doesnt fit but I had planned to just put a flat piece of plastic over it with gauges and such, both the trip and dim turn switches wont work unless you pull the knobs off. (atleast the dim one went on, the trip reset knob wont go on)