HybridZ

drag radials

SHANE

ok, i see some of you are getting awesome 60ft times with drag radials(scottie for one). but i have noticed that most if not all are running an automatic. now i understand that an automatic does not produce the driveline shock like dumping a clutch at 7000rpm, but what else factors into this. i run 275/50/15 bfg drag radials and i absolutely HATE them! i have tried every presure from 22psi down to 11psi. long to short burnouts. every time it is the same, sideways out of the hole and sideways again in second. 2.2 60ft! at least with my ET STREETS i could get 1.7's. but the new rules for the street 8 class dont allow bias ply tires.

anyone have any advice? i am thinking that ALL radial tires are worthless!(cars should come from the factory with slicks and skinnies icon_biggrin.gif )

thanks

Shane, you need to lower the rpm at which you launch. I would think that you could hook with those drag radials. I borrowed Scottie's Comp T/A and those hooked so hard it snapped the u-joint at the top of 1st gear. Scottie said it looked like the ass of the car almost dragged! Anyway, slicks will be your only solution if you can't find that happy spot at the launch. I bested a 12.2@121 with street tires.

Pete is dead on. DRs are not slicks and you cannot just floor it and dump the clutch. You have to find their limit and try not to exceed it. Once you find that limit and they hook, you will see the good 60'. I launch my automatic off a transbrake and just like trying to dump the clutch at high RPMs, I can only launch with so much boost else they go up in smoke.

Patience, trial and error and you will be rewarded. Just as an aside, despite running an automatic, I estimate my engine to have about 500lb/ft of torque with full boost a couple of feet off the line. I have no wheelspin with the same tires you are using. Once I get the new rear completed, I intend to try raising the boost off the line but do not expect it to be much higher before frying the tires. RickB is also automatic but he is launching a SBC with NOS on 235s.

Oh yeah, nice times on that L28T.