HybridZ

Pics of my supercharged L-28

dum-bass

Nope....

Is there a short answer regarding the supercharger versus turbocharger decision? I don't want to derail your thread, but it's so rare to see this topic.

To an inexperienced mechanic, I'd much rather deal with a belt-driven device than hot exhaust, all that piping and an impeller running at tens of thousands of rpm. Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sidwell, that is a pretty damn cool car you got there!

The second pic shows the mount to the generator pulley. That is exactly how I wanted to implement it as well. I was advised that this is not the best way to install the 36 - 1 wheel because it is not stable. As it was explained to me, the rubber isolator can shift and change the timing as much as 2 degrees. The other issue is, over time the position of the pulley can shift or completely delaminate. This is why the wheel is mounted to to the solid part of the dampner. It may work well for you but be aware of the issues associated with it.

Finally got my engine back from my machinist, and I have alot of info and documentation if anyone is interested. If not, then I will end the thread here. I also want to extend an apollogy to 1FASTZ for an improper response to a response during the most aggrevating period of the L-28 rebuild...

Finally got my engine back from my machinist, and I have alot of info and documentation if anyone is interested. If not, then I will end the thread here. I also want to extend an apollogy to 1FASTZ for an improper response to a response during the most aggrevating period of the L-28 rebuild...

I would love to know more please as I'm looking at supercharging my 280ZX motor (going into a 240Z) thinking M62 but will this be big enough?, how did you go using the stock ecu was it a turbo euc or a na ecu? did you have to do increase fuelling via extra injector?

looking forward to your reply

I would love to know more please as I'm looking at supercharging my 280ZX motor (going into a 240Z) thinking M62 but will this be big enough?, how did you go using the stock ecu was it a turbo euc or a na ecu? did you have to do increase fuelling via extra injector?

looking forward to your reply

The M-62 is perfect for your engine if you are not going above about 12 psi boost. After that, pully sizes would be difficult and you should go with the M-90. As for the ECU, I ran the stock non turbo one with stock injectors for a long time with the aid of an adjustable FMU to raise the fuel pressure to about 90 psi under boost!

hey, don't end it now! I just found it today!! I'm putting an M62 on my 78 right now, I did it a little differently, cut up a stock 81 manifold and made a custom mount for it direct, but a lot of routings etc are similar. Did that v/serp pulley come on the zx you mentioned, or did you cobb them together?

It's cobbed together. The serp pully is from a newer ford water pump or smog pump or something, but it fit perfect over the front V pully. I would love to see how you mounted that supercharger direct to the manifold!

I'd like to post a new picture of the finished manifold, but my wireless is bein crazy (i'll be lucky if I can get this to post while it's on). I've got some old pictures at my website , http://www.geocities.com/yellowoctupus ,under the car section. What are the diameters of your two pulleys? I did the calculations for diameters etc, but wasn't really sure what effeciency numbers to use. I'm looking to run what you've got, around 7/8 psi.

I'd like to post a new picture of the finished manifold, but my wireless is bein crazy (i'll be lucky if I can get this to post while it's on). I've got some old pictures at my website , www.geocities.com/yellowoctupus ,under the car section. What are the diameters of your two pulleys? I did the calculations for diameters etc, but wasn't really sure what effeciency numbers to use. I'm looking to run what you've got, around 7/8 psi.

Ok, now that is cool ♥♥♥♥! I don't have the resources to pull that kind of ♥♥♥♥ but if I did, I shurely would. Is that a gen 2, or 3 P-90?

The M-62 is perfect for your engine if you are not going above about 12 psi boost. After that, pully sizes would be difficult and you should go with the M-90. As for the ECU, I ran the stock non turbo one with stock injectors for a long time with the aid of an adjustable FMU to raise the fuel pressure to about 90 psi under boost!

ok I'm thinking of going with the M-90 as who knows what the future will hold :twisted:

I'm more than likely going to be asking some dum-bass (excuse the play on your user name) questions here but hopefully I've come to the right place

1) How do I go about making/finding an adjustable FMU?

2) and does FMU stand for Fuel Metering Unit which is the fuel regulator sitting on the top of the standard 280ZX fuel rail is this right?

3) Does the fuel pressure rise incrementally with the rev’s or is it just a continuous pressure increase?

I'm guessing there are going to be a few more questions to come as I gather my information for my project.

Thanks for your help

Guest michanic220

any means of boosting a car wether it be turbo, super or forced ram injection you need to keep it under 8psi with stock heads or stock head gaskets. i'd keep it around 5-6ish to be safe. you can drop your compression by getting a different head or by a different head gasket. or even a piston if you wanna go that far.:shock:

and that link should be fixed now..

for a supercharger do you need lower compresion like in a turbo or is the stock compression of a l26 fine?

Guest michanic220

the fuel regulator keeps it around 30PSI at all times. any pressure greater then that gets sent back to the tank and recycled.

wish i could answer more but idk what a FMU is.

ok I'm thinking of going with the M-90 as who knows what the future will hold :twisted:

I'm more than likely going to be asking some dum-bass (excuse the play on your user name) questions here but hopefully I've come to the right place

1) How do I go about making/finding an adjustable FMU?

2) and does FMU stand for Fuel Metering Unit which is the fuel regulator sitting on the top of the standard 280ZX fuel rail is this right?

3) Does the fuel pressure rise incrementally with the rev’s or is it just a continuous pressure increase?

I'm guessing there are going to be a few more questions to come as I gather my information for my project.

Thanks for your help

FMU is a Fuel Management Unit. (Adjustable fuel pressure) It's still vacuum/ boost goverened, but you can bump up the spring pressure on the diaphragm. If you're planning on only going to 7/8 lbs of boost (super or turbocharged, makes no difference) , you may be able to use a turbo regulator, as it will still regulate fuel off of vacuum AND boost pressure (as long as you have the corresponding turbo (brown top) injectors).

Yes, it is a fuel management unit that is designed to work in tandem with your stock fuel pressure regulator. The one from Motorsport Auto will not work because it in not adjustable into boost. You can find em all over the place like Summit racing, Superchargersonline.com, Ebay. I think I saw one recently that was an all in one unit so you dont need the stock regulator but it was about $100. more.

Would love to know what you had done