HybridZ

How to handle ducting when FMIC -> Radiator is involved

Alright, in my S14 (I know its not a z, but figured this might be of use to someone with one) I have a large FMIC that covers the entire opening in my bumper.

I have a radiator that is mounted in the factory location with pusher fans (no room for pullers). I am going to make a shroud to cover the front of the radiator leaving two 12" holes for the fans to increase the effectiveness and not have them mounted flat to the radiator. Is this going to hurt highway cooling? Reading the ducting articles on here, and the ducting info in Maximum Boost I think it will be fine. I do have the radiator totally sealed to the core support.

Next question, there is about 5" between my radiator front and intercooler. Should I build ducting to go between the intercooler and the radiator? My concern is that it may actually restrict air movement too much. the intercooler is 3" thick chinese core with a fairly open fin design.

I had envisioned this;

Intercooler sealed to opening in front bumper. I/C sits about 3" back, so I can block off the edges and make it fit tight so the air will either bounce off or be forced through.

Shroud from rear of intercooler to the front of the radiator.

Thoughts? I have read the aerodynamic threads etc.. and will likely do a splitter/belly pan on the very front edge between the core support and the front lip as well.

Thanks - Evan

i think shrouding from rear of IC to front of RAD would be ok if you left enough room in there for the somewhat hotter air to expand and hit some of the areas of the RAD you're now covering.

I invision it being better than blocking off those portions of the RAD completely.

I would not put a shroud on the front of the radiator. The fans are only working to cool the car at low speeds. At highway speeds its the air flow the cools the car.

As far as shroud from IC to front and IC to radiator, anything you can do to move the air thru the radiator and not around it will be advantagous

Well part of the battle I am trying to win is keeping this thing cool at low speeds on hot days. Highway speeds are okay. I am just trying to streamline things and keep them as efficient as possible.

I can make the shroud from the IC cover the entire radiator frontal area, thats no problem. The core on my IC isn't much smaller. I guess worst case, I can mock one up and try it. If it gets hot, out it comes!

Evan

Really you want a flow of air through the IC and another direct flow to the rad....under the IC to the Rad or over it. Just block the surrounding area so the air has no option but to pass through the cores. I tried passing air from the IC into my rad but it kept over heating. As son as I pulled the IC out at the bottom to allow cool air under and through the rad it was fine, it's not over heated since.

Really you want a flow of air through the IC and another direct flow to the rad....under the IC to the Rad or over it. Just block the surrounding area so the air has no option but to pass through the cores. I tried passing air from the IC into my rad but it kept over heating. As son as I pulled the IC out at the bottom to allow cool air under and through the rad it was fine, it's not over heated since.

Hmm maybe I am way overthinking this and you may be on to something. Ill take some photos and put some thought into it tonight.

Thanks guys.

I am going to have to make a shroud of some sort anyway, because i need a way to mount my fans (unless I mount them using strap steel, which may work well too)..