HybridZ

Will R200 Ring/Pinion swap between open & LSD unit?

BobsZTwins

They are as long as they use the same size bolts. The later factory r200's use 12mm ring gear bolts (82 and later according to Reider Racing)the earlier ones are 10mm. In my experience working with rear axles, if you are just adding an LSD to an existing housing, backlash can be set with a dial indicator. If you are swapping in a complete gear set, new or used, in a different housing, you will have to have a pinion depth checker. I have one by T&D Machine but I haven't disassembled an r200 to test compatibility (this clamps in the bearing caps.) A universal depth checker can be had by Proform from Jegs at $99 or Precision Measurement (San Antonion) for $175, these measure from the cap mounting flange.) FWIW, the T&D was $300 but has paid for itself twice. For a one time deal it's probably best to take you diff to a driveline shop, figure about $200 labor.

search the archives, been discussed a lot, you can go b/t ring gear bolt sizes with simple bushings (you can use 10mm ring gear sets in a 12mm carrier, but you cannot use a 12mm gearset in a 10mm carrier (unless you drill out the carrier)), I assume it's a 3.36 you're talking about? if not new you may want to consider my new 3.36 gearset.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1/27/01: Sorry for not responding sooner, it's been pretty hectic at work the last two weeks, no time for my toys! I am seriously interested in the gear set. I will try to check on the bolt size in my diff this weekend and let you know if I can use yours.

Thanks!

1/28/01: Can you tell from the part number what size bolts are used? I found a receipt for the Ring/Pinion currently in the car. The part number is 38100-P6400. I saw that the part number for your for sale item is 38100-P6200. With the part numbers so similar, could that mean mine are also 10MM??

[ September 28, 2001: Message edited by: BOB'S 2FORTZ ]