HybridZ

shifter issue

The car is a 78 280z but I have a 79 5spds. At first I had the straight shifter but the transmission insulator won't fit so I got a "z" shape shifter. Everything seems great but now going to 2nd is really hard and near impossible into 4th. It's not like it won't go in but it feels like it barely goes into 2nd & 4th so it popped right back into neutral. Here are some images. The first pic is the straight shifter I had before.

trans1.jpg

The "z" shape shifter now

shifter.jpg

• Administrators

I recall many many moon ago, (something like 15 years ago in the original BRAAP Z car), using a 4 speed shifter in my 5 speed tranny required grinding notches below the pivot for full gear engagement, otherwise, 1st, 2nd, 5th and Reverse would not “fully” engage and would pop out of gear. Reason being, the lower portion of the shift lever for the 4 speed shifters below the pivot is a tad longer than the 5 speed shifter, thus making it just a tad shorter throw, but will not fully engage due to the longer length lower section.

There is a fix for this… Remove your shifter and if you see shiny/rub spots on the tapered portion of the shift lever below the pivot, that will be your tell tale indicator that you need the 5 speed shifter or you need to modify/grind this shift lever. You can easily grind the shiny portions away to acquire the proper clearance. Only remove small amounts of material, and run the shifter through its motions and grind only hat needs to be ground away for 100% clearance in all gears with new shifter bushings.

• Administrators
I'm sorry but I have no idea what your post mean. I don't know anything about car

You asked a technical question about a car on a highly technical car forum. Chances are you’ll most likely receive technical answers to your technical question about that car. If you don’t know anything about the car, then asking a technical question you wont understand the answer to, is a waste of time for you and everyone else involved. Take it to a shop.

In case you are willing to diagnose a little on your own, I’ll recover the possible issue you might be experiencing with your shifter as I tried to explain above.

You do know how to remove and reinstall the shift lever itself right?

1) If so, then remove it!

2) With the shift lever out of the car and in your hands, exam the portion of the shifter that is BELOW the pivot! The pivot is the hole in the shift lever towards the bottom that the pin, (the pin looks like a bolt without threads), passes through and the shifter pivots ON while you change gears! This section of the shifter below the pivot is tapered and has a ball on the end with a plastic cup on it that swivels.

3) In examining that portion of the shifter below the pivot, the thicker portion of the taper near the pivot hole, might have shiny rub spots indicating that the shifter is NOT being allowed to fully engage due the lower portion being too long, i.e. the wrong shifter for that transmission.

4) If that is the case, then you have 2 options here;

a) Use a shift lever that the tapered portion below the pivot is shorter than the shift lever you are trying to use.

B) Grind way those shiny/rub areas to allow the shifter to fully engage when you put it in gear.

If it still doesn't make sense, this thread goes into more detail: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=96707

I was running a 4 speed shifter and didn't have any issues with it popping out of gear, but I did have a little rubbing on the shifter under the pivot.

Read the whole thread, because I started off thinking I knew what I was talking about...

I'd suggest to you that it would also be helpful to those of use having similar issues (popping out of gear, rubbing) to post what you discovered, and how you fixed it. Was it simple grinding that helped?

I was actually wondering if my new boots might be causing my problem before I took off the whole console again.