HybridZ

81 ZX Turbo Rearend...Scrap Or Save?

EverRude

I'm currently swapping the L28ET motor from the 81 ZX into my 75 280Z. The ZX is an automatic ofcourse so I don't need the tranny.

Should I try to save the rearend for later? Or just scrap it with the rest of the body. It could be a long time before I would use it and it'll take up precious space and likely need a rebuild before it could be used (167k miles on it). The ZX could bring about $150 scrapped it I tow it in myself. If I remove that rearend I have to pretty much give the car to an auto scrapper just to get them to haul it off with no rear suspension. So basically it's like paying $150 for a rearend I don't need. Ofcourse I haven't driven the 75 Z yet. Could be that R200 is trashed....

If I had more money and space it would be a no-brainer. But with limited space I have to set priorities. That $150 could be a new brake bootser I'll probably need or some sheet metal I definitely need....

Is the turbo rearend worth the cost, so save for later? Or easy to get later, so scrap it?

Oppinions?

Thanks

i would save it-in about 2 or 3 years of hard driving the spider gears get sloppy in the diff if you really use your car hard.plus it has a bigger pinion flange to build a heavy duty driveshaft with.i would probably save the drive shaft to-it has bigger u joints.most drive line shops will shorten and rebalence for around $100 or less.i have seen 280zxt powered cars waste the drive shafts at the drag strip with the small original z car driveshaft.