HybridZ

What do you guys think of the Toyota MR2?

Mauisnow13

My cousin has a 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo that is crazy fast. I'm kinda thinking about buying it. I know with about 320whp, they are at the low 5 0-60 mark, and can get into 4's at about that much power also.

I'd need to do some repairs and such to his, so I could probably get it for fairly cheap. I was just wondering if anyone here had any experiance with the MR2's and what people thought of them in general.

Thanks

Yeah, I know. For those of you who knew, the Mopar Z fell through. Had some issues I didn't want to really deal with. Exhaust blowing oil and such.

And yes, I do change my mind quite a bit. It doesn't help that there are hardly ANY decent Z's for sale in the area. I've been looking for like a year now. I've had one pop up that I really liked but when I called that night (second day it was posted) It was sold. Grrrrr. :(

Yeah, I know. For those of you who knew, the Mopar Z fell through. Had some issues I didn't want to really deal with. Exhaust blowing oil and such.

And yes, I do change my mind quite a bit. It doesn't help that there are hardly ANY decent Z's for sale in the area. I've been looking for like a year now. I've had one pop up that I really liked but when I called that night (second day it was posted) It was sold. Grrrrr. :(

mopar z?

?

I've driven both the MR-2 and the MGF, Toyota and Rover/MG cars that are very similar.

My MGF I owned was a 1997 1.8 VVC N/A convertible, you can get them in supercharged format. Nice car, fun with the top down, comfortable and well planted on the road up to 190Km/H at which point I had to brake for a big corner, but was still steadily accellerating.

very few bad driving points other than a worn sleeve in the shifter assemly giving a sloppy gearstick feel, still changed well, but the stick would wobble a bit rather than being firm.

The MR-2 a friend owned was a 1994 model. 2.0L N/A. hardtop. was generally stiffer and cornered well, but didn't feel so well mated to the road at higher speeds or when wriggling through high speed bends. it had slightly more room and was notacibly louder than my MGF, and the engine note was less exciting, the MGF sounded like a baritone wasp, the MR2 sounded like a normal car, not a sports car, an aftermarket muffler might help there with a better exhaust note.

Personally I'd get the MGF if you can find one :D

my mr2 turbo was a ton of fun. quick, sharp handling, looks good, and rock solid reliability. mines got broken into and a bunch of stuff stolen, so i felt like she was raped... she was a '92 with cf hood/trunk/engine lid/headlight covers/t-tops, cf dual spal fans, 17" gram lights, 94 taillight conversion, apexi intake and exhaust, turboxs bov, recaros, etc etc. huge money put into it and i was about to pull the trigger for a stroker motor.

the thing i didn't like is what everyone else says about it... engine bay is a pain to work in. to change the clutch, the engine must be dropped.

everytime i see an mr2 i miss my old one.