HybridZ

Cleaning up the engine bay

mikesz

I've been searching for a while now and just curious exactly how everyone cleans their engine bay.I know to cover up all the obvious electrical stuff,as well as all sensors.

I know that the degreaser you can buy at any auto parts store works ok.Simple green works also.Anyway,just curious if anyone has a certain method when they clean their engine bay.

I was thinking about using degreaser to clean the engine bay,cover everything electrical up with aluminum foil and hosing it down with a garden hose.Some people say to leave the engine running.Don't want to do that.

I drive it to the local car wash and pressure wash it with the engine degreaser selection. If it's just a bit dusty I use the pressure washer at home and hose it down.

Then - again - the LS1 is just a bit more immune to water induced problems than the L28. With it I learned to stay away from the distributor and the other electronic control items. Also learned whcih ones to take apart and blow out after I washe dthe motor and had problems.

I drive it to the local car wash and pressure wash it with the engine degreaser selection. If it's just a bit dusty I use the pressure washer at home and hose it down.

Then - again - the LS1 is just a bit more immune to water induced problems than the L28. With it I learned to stay away from the distributor and the other electronic control items. Also learned whcih ones to take apart and blow out after I washe dthe motor and had problems.

That was my main concern.My engine bay is white which shows every sign of dirt ect.I think if i cover up the dizzy,all sensors,tps, battery(just to be safe),I should be fine.I'll use some degreaser and follow the directions of course.I'll try and post some before and after pic's.

Amen to that!

I learned the hard way what a TPS was (and how water could foul it up) :)

Just be sure to cover up the connections. I ended up using heat shrink tubing on my connectors and injectors right after this because they were all cracking from age.

I always had a Leatherman micra on me so I could use it to pop the connector off the TPS and then huff & puff & blow the small amounts of water out of it. My reward would be an engine that would rev above 2,500 rpm on the way home. The other option is to wait an hour or so for the engine heat to bake it out. One of those aerosol keyboard cleaners would be a great tool for clearing it out. It ceratinly would keep me from getting light headed!

• 2 weeks later...